Mater is the overall deuteragonist of Disney/Pixar’s Cars franchise. He is the tetartagonist of Cars, the main protagonist of Cars Toon: Mater's Tall Tales and Cars 2, the deuteragonist of Tales from Radiator Springs, and a major character of Cars 3.
Mater is a rusty tow truck.
Why He Rocks
- He is friendly, loyal, funny, and big-hearted.
- He is more hilariously dim-witted and more likable than he was in the first sequel. An example of his hilarity is driving backwards and even tipping tractors.
- He is a great best friend of Lightning McQueen (most of the time).
- Larry the Cable Guy handled his voice perfectly, and Mater himself often uses his catchphrase “Git ‘R Done!”
- He was so popular that he got his own short series.
- Many people hated his role as the hero in Cars 2, as the spotlight usually centers on Lightning. Speaking of such, he was dumbed down to a more obnoxious, immature, unfunny, and unlikable character, up to the point where he became a poorly-executed spy, and he even caused Lightning to lose the race in Japan all because of his stupidity. Fortunately, he does regain his old characterization in Cars 3.
- While he is big hearted and loyal, he may not be exactly the smartest car in Radiator Springs.