Mater is the overall deuteragonist of Disney/Pixar’s Cars franchise. He is the tetartagonist of Cars, the main protagonist of Cars Toon: Mater's Tall Tales and Cars 2, the deuteragonist of Tales from Radiator Springs, and a major character of Cars 3.
Mater is a rusty tow truck.
Why He Rocks
- He is friendly, loyal, funny, and big-hearted.
- He is more hilariously dim-witted and more likable than he was in the first sequel. An example of his hilarity is driving backwards and even tipping tractors.
- He is a great best friend of Lightning McQueen (most of the time), and is one of those who made him a much better person.
- Larry the Cable Guy handled his voice perfectly, and Mater himself often uses his catchphrase “Git ‘R Done!”, which is clearly endearing.
- He was so popular that he got his own short series.
- His first line in Cars 2, "Mater, Tow Mater, that’s who, is here to help you!", which shows he could help just about anyone.
- Aside from being dim-witted and a simple-folk, he has great knowledge on engineering and is skilled with repairing other vehicles. Even for his flanderization in Cars 2, he was still clever enough to defeat the villain in the end of the story.
- One of his lines: DAD-GUM!
- Many people hated his role as the hero in Cars 2, as the spotlight usually centers on Lightning. Speaking of such, he was dumbed down to a more obnoxious, immature, unfunny, and unlikable character, up to the point where he became a poorly-executed spy, and he even caused Lightning to lose the race in Japan all because of his stupidity. Fortunately, he does regain his old characterization in Cars 3.
- While he is big hearted and loyal, he may not be exactly the smartest car in Radiator Springs.