Thomas Cat is one of the two titular main protagonists (alongside Jerry Mouse) of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's series of Tom and Jerry theatrical animated short films. Created by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, Tom is a grey and white anthropomorphic domestic short haired Tuxedo cat who first appeared in the 1940 MGM animated short Puss Gets the Boot. Tom was known as "Jasper" during his debut in the short; however, beginning with his next appearance in The Midnight Snack he was known as "Tom" or "Thomas".
Why He Rocks
- He is Jerry's (friendly and bitter) rival, and even though he usually fails to get the best of Jerry and loses in the end, his strategies are usually clever, whether they work or not, and some of them can get him to occasionally get the best of Jerry and win in the end.
- Over the years, he has become almost completely bipedal and has human intelligence.
- His famous scream.
- His design is nicely done and got better over the years.
- His friendship/rivalry with Jerry became one of the most iconic relationships in cartoon history.
- He and Jerry are two of the most iconic cartoon characters of all time
- He sometimes comes off as a punching bag.