The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT for short) are the titular main protagonists of the franchise of the same name. They are a group of mutant reptiles that dwell in the sewers where they practice ninjitsu and fight the Foot Clan led by Shredder.
Why They're Great
- The idea of a bunch of sewer-dwelling teenage mutant turtles that practice ninjitsu is very original.
- They each have diverse personalities.
- Leonardo is the head-strong leader.
- Donatello is usually the brains of the group.
- Michaelangelo is the free-spirited, fun-loving comic relief.
- Raphael is the masculine, more serious one of the group.
- They don’t only have a nice brotherly relationship with eachother but also a father-son relationship with their training master/sensei, Splinter.
- They also have an awesome companionship with several humans like April O’Neil and Casey Jones.
- They are awesome depictions of stereotypical teenagers, with their interest for pop culture, their thrill-seeking persepctive, their fun-loving shenanigans and their extreme love for pizza.
- Their fights (whether it be with the Foot Clan, Shredder or any other villain) are nothing short of awesome.
Leonardo (Blue Mask)
- He’s shown to be a great leader.
- Second only to Raphael, he’s probably the more serious and confident one of the Turtles.
- He’s also usually the “voice-of-reason” of the group.
- He has awesome skills using katanas.
- He’s always willing to try new things ninjitsu-wise.
- He’s quite confident.
- He is great at fighting and combating with his enemies.
Michelangelo (Orange Mask)
- He’s the more fun-loving and comical one, which gives him a lot of likability.
- He’s probably the one that’s depicted the most as a stereotypical teenagers.
- He may be mischievous and doesn’t take most things seriously, but deep down he cares about his brothers and sensei.
- He has awesome skills using nunchucks.
- He can be super hilarious and is the friendliest of the Turtles.
- ”Wise men say forgiveness is divine. But never pay full price for late pizza.”
Raphael (Red Mask)
- He’s the most serious, strongest and confident of the Turtles.
- He and awesome skills using twin sais.
- He has a brave, bold, loyal and determined personality.
- Though very strict and serious, he’s shown also to have a caring side.
- He takes ninjitsu and fighting very seriously when it comes to protecting New York City from evil-doers.
Donatello (Purple/Violet Mask)
- He’s the most intelligent of the Turtles and the one that uses brain smarts the most.
- He’s very smart, stealth and good-hearted.
- He has awesome skills at using staff-like weapons.
- In later adaptations of the popular series, he’s shown to have great technology smarts.
- He’s also an inventor that is able to develop multiple advanced devices.
They were awfully flanderized in the 2014 movie, which is still terrible to this very day.
- They’re all named after particular Italian Renassiance artists.