Ellen Peterson, better known as The Gamin is the deuteragonist of the 1936 Charlie Chaplin film Modern Times. She's an orphan girl who ran away from the authorities and becomes The Tramp's companion.
She was portrayed by Paulette Goddard.
Why She Rocks
- She and The Tramp have a very loving relationship with each other. (Bonus points for Chaplin and Goddard- the duo's actors- having a relationship in real life.)
- She occasionally steals food, to supply for her poor, unemployed family.
- She's shown to be sweet and caring for others as well. For example, during her first appearance she's seen stealing bananas and sharing them with other waterfront kids on the dock.
- She pretty rebellious as shown when she refused to by taken away by child services, and escaped for officers multiple times from her crimes for good causes.
- She's rather unique among Chaplin's co-stars. As she was by the Tramp's side as he was walking into the distance during the ending.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.