NOTE: SPOILERS FOR THE MANDALORIAN!
"What is it? Like a pet or something?"
"Yeah, something like that."
―Mayfeld and the Mandalorian after he discovered the Child.
"The Child" is a primary supporting protagonist in the Disney+ exclusive original series, The Mandalorian.
Belonging to the same unnamed species of Grand Master Yoda and Jedi Master Yaddle, he is a male Force-sensitive foundling that was reportedly born around 41 BBY. While still an infant at the age of fifty years old, he was sought by an Imperial who hired a Mandalorian bounty hunter to retrieve him where he was held at a compound run by Nikto mercenaries on Arvala-7 during the New Republic Era.
Why He Rocks
- The infant may be an adorable green elf-looking creature, but he can wield the Force and already shows immense strength in this ability despite his young age and lack of training.
- This, in which, makes him one of the most powerful beings in the universe.
- He manages to bring some much needed adorable comic relief to the much more gritty and criminal world he lives in.
- He seems to enjoy hunting frogs and swallowing them alive whenever he can.
- He likes to not follow Mando's instructions whenever possible, preferring to tag along instead of staying behind.
- Despite still being a baby, he seems to have a better understanding of situations than given credit for.
- In a highly memorable scene, The Child manages to use the Force to contain an onslaught of flames before throwing them back at the incinerator stormtrooper, instantly killing him.
- When being attacked by a villain piloting a TIE fighter, Karga asks the Child to use the 'hand thingy', referring to the Force, to save them from Gideon. Not knowing what he meant, the Child simply waves his hand.
- The Child has been referred to widely and affectionately in news reports and social media as "Baby Yoda."