Mario (Full name: Mario Mario), previously known as Jumpman, and developed under the nickname Mr. Video, is the main protagonist of the longest-running video games series with the same name, and the mascot for Nintendo. He is the love interest of Princess Peach and the older twin brother of Luigi.
Why He Rocks
- He turned into one of, if not the most famous mascot in video game history. In fact, he's actually statistically more recognizable among people than Mickey Mouse.
- His famous catchphrases, most notably, "It's a me, Mario", "Okie dokie!", and "Mamma Mia!"
- He is shown to be very brave and kind-hearted with a strong sense of justice/heroism.
- He almost always puts others' lives before his.
- Constantly saves millions of lives from threats to the Mushroom Kingdom and the entire world.
- His famous rivalry/friendship with Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Paved the way for other video game characters, such as his rival Sonic.
- Made numerous cameos in other games, such as Zelda.
- Has multiple power-up suits he looks great in and gains the power of, such as the Tanooki suit and the cat suit.
- His loving, brotherly love he shares with Luigi.
- His romantic yet platonic chemistry with Princess Peach.
- He is a very experienced and agile fighter, and puts his skills to good use.
- His famous rivalry with Bowser, a iconic case of a hero-vs.-villain trope.
- Earned an infamously 'so bad its good' live-action movie and a Illumination movie coming out soon.
- Although he doesn’t look intimidating, he is incredibly powerful with superhuman strength that can lift castles and kick them away. He can also manipulate fire, dodge lasers, and survive being in space.
- He is always friendly to people and never gets aggresive.
- Mario has some known controversies.
- People debate over his height. Some say he is 5’1” and some say he is 5’11”.
- Controversies about how he treats Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Yoshi make some people hate him.
- He is often not shown with a clear personality because he is meant for players to integrate their own personality into his characters.
- Sometimes a very silent character lacking personaility, mostly in his 8-bit games.
- Most of the time, when you pick him, you will discover that he does not have any significant qualities that make him diverse from other characters. At least Luigi jumps higher. Although this is most noticeable in the main games, it is mostly noticed in the spin-offs.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.