WARNING: This character article contains major spoilers for
Sunset Shimmer is a major character from the Hasbro series, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, and the main protagonist of the My Little Pony: Equestria Girls series.
Before Twilight Sparkle became Princess Celestia's student, Sunset Shimmer was Celestia's student who abandoned Celestia after she wouldn't make her a princess. In the process, she followed down a path of evil and ended up in a human world version of Equestria and dominated Canterlot High School as a self-absorbed bully who always pushed the students around. After stealing Twilight's crown as she began her title as a princess, Sunset planned to use it to gain unlimited power and rule the human world. After Twilight and the human versions of the Mane Five defeated her, Sunset promised to turn over a new leaf and become a better person. While it was a struggle given how everyone hated her for being a bully, she still managed to earn her redemption and has become a best friend to the Mane Five along with Twilight Sparkle (Sci-Twi) at the Friendship Games, and has learned a lot about friendship through her bond with her friends.
Why She Rocks
- Out of all of the villains in the MLP series, she has one of the best redemptions of becoming good after a life of evil, as she constantly shows her desire to wanna change and becomes very sympathetic with how she tries but ends up struggling to improve.
- She's a very likable and relatable character who is generally friendly and compassionate, and she tends to have a temper problem who always gets upset at something that's bothering her.
- She is also shown to be forgiving as well. In Forgotten Friendship, she accepts the apology from Wallflower Blush (another character who isn't truly evil) even after what she has done to her, as well as redeeming Wallflower.
- She has a very attractive design as a human, and a cute design as a pony.
- She's very talented. As she's skilled with guitar playing, singing, video game playing, and she's very studious and intelligent.
- She's also very funny as she can be quite snarky and sarcastic sometimes.
- Her voice actress does a phenomenal job voicing her in both speaking and singing voice.
- Like Starlight Glimmer, her reason why she became evil is rather weak.
- In the first Equestria Girls film, she comes off as a very uninteresting spoiled brat who bullies others and walks around the school like she owns it.
- She was to be bisexual by a staffer for Equestria Girls.