Squidward Quincy Tentacles is the main character of the Nickelodeon animated comedy series, SpongeBob SquarePants. He is a grumpy octopus which is a friend of his neighbors SpongeBob and Patrick, however he's often annoyed by them obviously because of their childlike behaviors.
Why He Rocks
- Despite being a bad artist, and bad clarinetist, he did make good art that people have enjoyed.
- He is vain and grouchy, but those traits are put to good use.
- Despite his grumpiness and arrogance, he has a good heart and actually cares about Spongebob secretly considering him his friend and even saving his life, standing up for him or protecting him in several occasions.
- He is proven to be more caring than his employer, Mr. Krabs. He even called him out for selling SpongeBob to the Flying Dutchman just to save a couple of bucks.
- Rodger Bumpass does an awesome job voicing the character.
- His clarinet skills may be poor most of the time, but that isn't always the case; he played the clarinet very nicely a few times.
- His design is great, but his superhero design as Sour-Note is even better!
- He is one of the most realistic and relatable characters in the show.
- Though Squidward alone is cynical often, SpongeBob finds the good in him.
- He's aware that Mr. Krabs is a cheapskate, unlike SpongeBob.
- There are times where he cares for Spongebob like in the episode "Pizza Delivery", he stood up for him. And not to mention the fact that he even cared about him in "Dying for Pie" where he could do the fun stuff before he died.
- His laugh is very good, and is a vibrant side to him.
- His maturity makes him relatable to adults.
- He does have a point on berating his neighbors SpongeBob and Patrick for their immaturity and annoyance.
- In some episodes, he is put in charge of the Krusty Krab when Mr. Krabs is away. SpongeBob may have a good work ethic, but Squidward's maturity and intelligence give him an edge over SpongeBob. In fact, these qualities are the reason why he is chosen over SpongeBob to be the initial manager of the Krusty Krab 2 in the first movie!
- He even leads a marching band with tremendous success, much to his rival's shock!
- Depending on your opinion, his bad attitude is kind of annoying.
- Some people get confused about whether he is a squid due to his name, even though he is actually an octopus.
- He was a punching bag in seasons 6-8.
- He was flanderized in season 6-12 becoming a heartless sociopathic egomaniac that hated Spongebob with a passion and wanted to see him die which made him more similar to a villain than a hero. Luckily he was finally reversed to his Season 1-3 self in the last episodes of Season 12 and the third Spongebob film, The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the run.
- He was very unlikable in "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob", since he yelled at SpongeBob for waking him up and even called him "Idiot Boy". Unlike everyone else, he showed no remorse for driving SpongeBob out of town and in the end, the worst part is he didn’t even say he was sorry. He was also unlikable in "Little Yellow Book", since he was the one who read SpongeBob's diary and humiliated him to the point where he made him cry, and plus, he never even said he was sorry to him in that episode either.
- At times, he suffers more than he deserves.