SpongeBob SquarePants is the titular main protagonist of the animated series of the same name. He is voiced by actor and comedian Tom Kenny, in his breaakout role.
Why He's Great
- He is a wonderfully optimistic, abnormal, immature, fun-loving, and hyperactive sponge with a happy-go-lucky personality.
- He is extremely determined and will often stop at nothing to accomplish a task.
- He is very kind. He is a good owner to Gary (most of the time), a good friend to Patrick and is nice to Squidward, even though he isn't nice to him.
- He is very hard-working, enthusiastically working at his seemingly awful, low-paying job.
- His iconic laugh.
- He comes up with good songs like "Who Am I?", "Ripped Pants", "Goofy Goober Rock", and "The C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E Song".
- As his catchphrase goes, he is always ready for everything and anything.
- He is the titular protagonist of two incredible animated films that combines live-action, surreal humor, and compelling themes rolled up in an adventurous, emotional odyssey.
- He is one of the most iconic fictional characters of all time.
- He is somewhat dramatic to the people who are kind to him: for example, to the mailfish.
- In Seasons 6-8, he got flanderized into an extremely annoying, unlikable and immature idiot.
- Speaking of season 6 to 8, he's at his absolute worst in the episode "A Pal for Gary", as he was entirely oblivious to the fact that Puffy Fluffy was trying to kill Gary, and he did not show any gratitude for Gary saving him.
- He can even be annoying sometimes even in the seasons where he isn't flanderized.
- For instance, his iconic laugh can come off as annoying to some.
- He's incredibly naïve. For example, he thinks that Mr. Krabs is generous and selfless, when he is really the exact opposite (except for when he calls him a "cheapskate" in Pickles, Krabby Land and Can You Spare a Dime?).
- In "Good Neighbors," he and Patrick have been ruining Squidward's Sunday and doesn't even apologize to him at the end, even though he actually tried, but Squidward just rejected hearing another word from him.
- His show is widely considered to be one of the best and most popular cartoons out there.
- He was designed by the late marine biologist and educator, Stephen Hillenburg (rest in peace).
- Hillenburg based SpongeBob on Bob the Sponge, a character he had created for his educational comic book "The Intertidal Zone" in the late 1980s.
- According to Stephen Hillenburg, he's asexual, which is both an actual sexuality and a way that real life sponges reproduce.