"What you see is what you get — just a guy that loves adventure! I'm Sonic the Hedgehog!"
—Sonic, Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic the Hedgehog, mostly known simply by his preferred nickname Sonic, is the video game company SEGA's mascot and the main protagonist of his homonymous video game series. He's a mobian hedgehog with plenty of attitude and personality who lives up to his name by being able to run at supersonic speeds.
Why He's Got an Attitude
- He is one of the most famous mascots in video game history, Having been the mascot of the Japanese video game company Sega since his introduction in 1991, succeeding Sega's previous mascot Alex Kidd.
- Unlike some other video game mascots, Sonic has a personality that can be integrated into interesting stories. Thanks to this, Sonic has not only interesting stories in some his video games, but he has a bunch of good stories in comic books, cartoons and more!
- He is highly free-spirited and adventurous.
- He values freedom and believes in allowing the world to be free.
- He has a lot of self-esteem and does not care about what people say about him.
- Holds a strong passion for enjoying life to the fullest.
- His famous rivalry/friendship with Super Mario. Which was famous enough that Mario and Sonic started to appear in a crossover game together since 2007's Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games.
- When there is a crisis, he intensely focuses on the task at hand.
- He is an unpredictable thrill-seeker and sees his heroics as an opportunity to have fun.
- He always manages remains cool under pressure.
- He often jokes around to lighten the mood and has the tendency to hilariously taunt his opponents.
- He never forgets about his friends and believes in working as a team or, as he put it, the power of teamwork.
- Following his free-spirited nature, he does not dwell on the past or allow painful experiences to weigh him down. Instead, he lives in the present and always looks forward to new adventures, which is a good moral for anyone.
- He is always ready to risks his life for his friends, with little regard for his own safety.
- His best-friend relationship with Tails.
- Has shown to have a habit for forgiving, like how he forgave Silver for trying to kill him. Twice.
- He is shown to be good at swordsmanship, like in Sonic and the Black Knight.
- He earned not only 5 animated shows (AoSTH, Sonic SatAM, Sonic Underground, Sonic X, Sonic Boom), 2 web cartoons (Sonic Mania Adventures, Team Sonic Racing Overdrive) and an animated movie (Sonic the Hedgehog OVA), but also an exceptionally successful live-action/computer animated movie in 2020 with an even more excellent sequel in 2022.
- He can be too narcissistic, impatient and prideful to be likable.
- Most of the time he says very cheesy quotes, such as "Nothing starts before you take action".
- He tends to overreact when someone calls him some other species that's not a hedgehog, like when Erazor Djinn calls him a rat.
- Like other characters in the series, he undergone a really bad flanderization during the 2010s. In Sonic Lost World for example, Sonic is portrayed as having a kind of one-track, arrogant mind and manages to do some very impulsive, foolhardy stuff.
- Some of his puns are absolutely terrible and unenjoyable.
- He was extremely unlikeable in the Fleetway comics, where he was a jerk who was willing to endanger his friends, Refused to let anyone other than himself be the hero and even once FAKED HIS OWN DEATH AS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!
- "That's NO GOOD!" - Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
- "Strange, isn't it?! GHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRR!!" - Sonic the Hedgehog OVA
- "Hey, I'll play with you some other time!" - Sonic Adventure
- "Talk about low budget flights, no food or movies? I'm outta here!" - Sonic Adventure 2
- "My, that's a pretty snazzy performance there!" - Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
- "You're too slo-ow!" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- "It was never about chivalry for me... I just gotta do what I gotta do, that's all." - Sonic & The Black Knight
- "NO COPYRIGHT LAW IN THE UNIVERSE IS GOING TO STOP ME!" - Sonic Colors
- "Being a role model is overrated. I'd much rather be... Hilariously edgy." - Sonic Boom
- "This is my power, and I'm not using it to run away anymore. I'm using it to protect my friends." - Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)