"What you see is what you get — just a guy that loves adventure! I'm Sonic the Hedgehog!"
—Sonic, Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic the Hedgehog, mostly known simply by his preferred nickname Sonic, is the video game company SEGA's mascot and the main protagonist of the quick, fun video game series he is named after.
A blue anthropomorphic hedgehog with plenty of attitude and personality, he lives up to his name by being able to run at supersonic speeds.
Why He Rocks
- He is one of the most famous mascots in video game history.
- Unlike most other video game mascots, Sonic actually has a personality that can actually be integrated into interesting stories. Thanks to this, Sonic has not only interesting stories in his video games, but he has a bunch of good stories in comic books, cartoons and more!
- He is highly free-spirited and adventurous.
- He values freedom and believes in allowing the world to be free.
- He has a lot of self-esteem and does not care about what people say about him.
- Holds a strong passion for enjoying life to the fullest.
- His famous rivalry/friendship with Super Mario. Which was famous enough that Mario and Sonic started to appear in a crossover game together since 2007's Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games.
- When there is a crisis, he intensely focuses on the task at hand.
- He is an unpredictable thrill-seeker and sees his heroics as an opportunity to have fun.
- He always manages remains cool under pressure.
- Often jokes around to lighten the mood and has the tendency to hilariously taunt his opponents.
- He never forgets about his friends and believes in working as a team or, as he put it, the power of teamwork.
- Following his free-spirited nature, he does not dwell on the past or allow painful experiences to weigh him down. Instead, he lives in the present and always looks forward to new adventures, which is a good moral for anyone.
- He is always ready to risks his life for his friends, with little regard for his own safety.
- His best-friend relationship with Tails.
- Has shown to have a habit for forgiving, like how he forgave Silver for trying to kill him. Twice.
- He is shown to be good at swordsmanship, like in Sonic and the Black Knight.
- He earned not only 5 animated shows (AoSTH, Sonic SatAM, Sonic Underground, Sonic X, Sonic Boom), 2 web cartoons (Sonic Mania Adventures, Team Sonic Racing Overdrive) and an animated movie (Sonic the Hedgehog OVA), but also an exceptionally successful live-action/computer animated movie in 2020 with an upcoming sequel.
- He can be too narcissistic and prideful to be likable.
- He can be very impatient.
- Sometimes says very cheesy quotes, such as "Nothing starts before you take action".
- Tends to overreact when someone misjudges his species.
- He was bit flanderized in Sonic Lost World, where Sonic is portrayed as having a kind of one-track, arrogant mind that manages to do some very impulsive, foolhardy stuff.
- Sometimes makes absolutely terrible puns that no one can enjoy. Not even unironically.