"This world was devastated before I was born. A harsh, bleak place, where we live in eternal darkness. Life is a struggle, and people live without hope. How did this happen? No one will answer me directly, but they always point... to the flames. These flames. they burn away my world destroying everything in their path. They come from an eternal life form that we cannot truly defeat. The Flames of Disaster, known as Iblis."
—Silver, Sonic the Hedgehog(2006)
Silver the Hedgehog (シルバー・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Shirubā za Hejjihoggu) is a recurring character in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He's a psychokinetic hedgehog from a dystopian future who constantly travels through time to get rid of whatever (or whoever) is responsible for the destruction of his world.
Why He's Of Use
- Silver's design is fitting for a being from the future.
- He's very optimistic and has a strong sense of justice.
- He can ally himself with others quite easily (although this isn't necessarily good, more on this later).
- Similarly to Sonic, he is courageous and goes to the rescue fearlessly with little regard for his safety. He can also be a bit snarky and cocky.
- He has some sweet psychokinetic powers that allow him to move living and non-living things around.
- His heartwarming friendship with Blaze.
- He's always willing to help others even if he has something more important to do, like when he helped Amy in finding Sonic, not knowing that he was the so called "Iblis Trigger".
- Despite being naive, he's capable of taking a moment to think about his mission, pondering on whether it's right or not to kill someone to save the world.
- He was quick to join Shadow in his quest to uncover the origin of Mephiles and Iblis.
- Upon knowing that the Chaos Emeralds were "lucky charms", he decides to give his blue Emerald to a young and unconscious Princess Elise who just lost her dad.
- He finally decides to cooperate with Sonic once he finds out he's not the Iblis Trigger.
- His theme song, Dreams of an Absolution, is head bobbing.
- His brief fight against Infinite in Sonic Forces (thanks to which the Rookie Avatar found the Phantom Ruby, by the way).
- Pete Capella and Quinton Flynn did great at voicing him (and Bryce Papenbrook to an extent).
- His idolatry for Whisper the Wolf, who he calls the "Guardian Angel".
- He's considered one of the few good things to come out of Sonic 06.
- As mentioned in WHR#8, he is really naive and easy to trick, like when Mephiles made him think that Sonic was the Iblis Trigger, no questions asked. He is also a little short-tempered and immature.
- His boss fight is pretty frustrating.
- He barely has any relevance in the modern games, as well as very few appearances in the franchise.
- His voice actor in Team Sonic Racing (Bryce Papenbrook) can sound annoying for some people.
- There is an inconsistency in the scene where he gives Elise the blue Emerald: In Shadow's story, he keeps it instead of giving it away.
- He was pretty unlikable in Pre-Super Genesis Wave, to the point where he got a page on Loathsome Characters Wiki.
- "How 'bout THIS?" - Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
- "To kill someone to save the world... is that really the right thing to do? - Sonic the Hedgehog 2006
- "I am not to be trifled with!" - Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
- "I know you can do it, Sonic!" - Sonic Generations
- "I'm an optimist, but I'm also a realist." - Sonic Forces
- "Does anyone but you believe your lies?" - Sonic Forces
- "I feel amazing!" - Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
- Silver was based on Future Trunks, from the Dragon Ball series.
- He was originally planned to have orange fur before the team changed it to light gray.
- There is actually a strategy to beat Silver in Sonic 06: Avoid him while he's grabbing objects, and hit him after he says "How 'bout THIS?".
- His psychokinetic powers' idea was originally for him to have powers drawn from the Chaos Emeralds.