Shadow the Hedgehog (シャドウ・ザ・ヘッジホッグ Shadō za Hejjihoggu?) is a fictional character from the expansive Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is an anthropomorphic hedgehog/Black Arm hybrid and the arch-rival of Sonic. Shadow was created by Dr. Gerald Robotnik, using the DNA of Black Doom, and is the end result of Project Shadow.
Why He Rocks
- His entire backstory is very tragic and sympathetic while trying to destroy humanity for the loss of his best friend Maria. But in a change of heart and a pep talk from one pink hedgehog, changed his ways and decided to protect Earth.
- A brooding loner by nature, Shadow constantly refers to himself as "The Ultimate Lifeform" as he is egotistical, serious and self-absorbed, yet calm and anti-heroic by the most part.
- His personality, abilities, and outlook on life make him the perfect arch-rival for Sonic, one that isn't a robust roboticist.
- Regardless of his motivations, he has helped Sonic the Hedgehog and his allies save the world multiple times.
- Shadow has a collection of amazing, heavy rock and metal music in Sonic Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog, called "Throw It All Away", "I Am...All of Me", "All Hail Shadow" and "Never Turn Back".
- His self-titled game, considered one of the worst games in the franchise, received very poor reception by fans and critics alike.
- However, it did have high sales.
- In recent years, he has defined only by his edginess and nothing more. but not as bad as his Sonic Boom counterpart.
- The look and feel of his character were based on high-octane, dark action movies like Underworld, Constantine, and the Terminator films.
- Although Shadow is one of the series' most popular characters and was named one of the greatest video game characters by Guinness World Records in 2011, he has proven divisive among video game journalists.