"Remember, you're fighting for this woman's honor, which is probably more than she ever did!" ― Rufus T. Firefly
Rufus T. Firefly is the main protagonist of the 1933 Marx Brothers film, Duck Soup. He became the president and dictator of Fredonia, which was a bankrupt country. He was recommended by Mrs. Teasdale to be the new president
...although I may have abused the power and started a pointless war over getting called an "upstart".
Whoa, hold on. Groucho Marx? I thought you were dead!
If I was dead, then how could I be talking to you right now sir?
Ooooooo-kay. Shall we get into the main reasons you're such a memorable character.
Why not? You were going to do it anyway.
Why He Rocks
- Rufus T. Firefly is a pretty cool name (similar to a lot of Groucho's characters names) and it pretty much summarizes how unique his character can be.
- As per usual with Groucho Marx's roles his dialogue is hilarious and loaded with witty humor and double entendres, and don't forget my occasional fourth-wall awareness. It's practically one of our singature trademarks.
- He may not be a very good ruler, but he was shown to be strong and powerful. Overall, not someone you'd want to mess with.
- His constant attempts to marry Mrs. Teasdale due to how rich she is. What? I thought it was only fair that I got my share of some of her money.
- Firefly called up all other nations of the world during the battle towards the ending, which followed a massive (and hilarious) scene full of tanks, armies and groups of traveling animals. (Even if it was stock footage.)
- Plus, there's also the fact that his uniform had changed almost every time the camera switched during the third act, to a variety of increasingly improbable outfits.