Ruby is a member of the Crystal Gems who was originally a Homeworld Gem soldier 5,750 years ago. After accidentally fusing with Sapphire, the two fled in order to prevent Ruby from being shattered at the hands of Blue Diamond. Ruby later joins the Crystal Gems. She made her official debut in "Jail Break". She is currently fused with Sapphire as Garnet.
Why She Rocks
- According to creator Rebecca Sugar, Ruby "has no sense of what's going on around her" and "can only focus on one thing only at the expense of all things".
- Ruby mainly embodies Garnet's strength and courage, while Sapphire embodies Garnet's cool nature and calm under pressure.
- She is extremely passionate and emotional.
- She seems to put the welfare of Sapphire above all else, doing everything to find her and immediately made sure that Sapphire was well.
- When not angry, Ruby is a suave romantic, soft with words, and quite flirtatious towards Sapphire. When she channels her emotion on love rather than on rage, she can be affectionate and extremely caring.
- Despite her wild emotions, Ruby is still very willing to admit when she has taken her anger too far and will admit when she is in the wrong.
- Most of Garnet's sensitive side seems to come from Ruby; whenever Garnet cries, her tears fall from her right eye (the red-colored one) that represents Ruby.
- She gets huge character development and a good song "Ruby Rider" in the episode, The Question.
- She is known to be very hot-headed and has violent ways of exhibiting her anger; this is best seen in "Keystone Motel", when she is infuriated to the point of using her thermokinesis and boiled the motel pool, even summoning her weapon at The Best Diner in the World.
- She appears to be a bad conversationalist, occasionally speaking in somewhat unintelligible mumbles, a trait which she carries onto Garnet.
- Ruby is the birthstone of Rebecca Sugar, creator of the show.
- The ruby is closely associated with aspects such as vitality, life, passion, and fire, all of which can be symbolically linked to the color red.