"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
"We'll always have Paris."
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
Richard "Rick" Blaine (born in 1903 or 1904) is the main protagonist of the 1942 Warner Bros. film Casablanca. He's the owner of a Moroccan nightclub known as Rick's Café Américain.
He was portrayed by Humphrey Bogart.
Why He Rocks
- He's one of Bogart's most iconic and complex roles.
- Despite being stern and cold and claiming to not care about others. He's indeed shown to care for other people.
- This is especially shown in the ending where he was willing to give up the love of his life so she would be safe from the Nazis.
- The story of Rick's previous relationship with Isla and how it led to him current being cold and bitter is both tragic and gives Rick some depth.
- He's got several notable quotes that continue to be famous to this day, like the current one in the caption that's he says multiple time in the film for similar reasons.
- Whenever he's manipulating one of the characters he usually has a good reason for the trick.
- Rick Blaine came in 4th place in the Heroes category on AFI's 100 Heroes and Villains countdown.