Rex Powers is one of the eight main characters of Victorious. He is Robbie's best friend and ventriloquist dummy. Rex has no filter. He does not like to be called a "dummy" or "puppet", possibly because he isn't one. He says what's on his mind and doesn't hold back or beat around the bush. He hits on most girls at Hollywood Arts High School with the notable exception of Cat, Robbie's own love interest.
Rex is puppeteered by Matt Bennett and voiced by Jake Farrow, who is left uncredited to give the illusion that Robbie voices Rex. In "Blooptorious", he claims to be "Christopher Cane", a British actor.
Why He Rocks
- Out of all the characters from Victorious, Rex is the most unique seeing that he’s a puppet and has his own sneaky personalities.
- Just like Stimpy from Ren & Stimpy, Sheen from The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, and Pig from Back at the Barnyard, he is a hilarious comic relief character with his snarky comments.
- Jake Farrow did an outstanding job playing him.
- Matt Bennett does a great job puppeteering him.
- His puppet design is pretty good.
- He’s shown to help make Robbie very funny, as while Robbie tries to be cool with the ladies, Rex often steals the spotlight from him, which has him unintentionally helping his friend out, as they make a great hilarious comedy duo.
- The way he tries to get a lady to be by his side can be quite funny, especially when he calls Tori "check-bones".
- He is easily repairable since he’s a puppet, like how he was completely fixed after his fatal injuries in "Rex Dies", and how he has had his body parts reattached after being ripped off, or getting new ones after having his body parts destroyed in some way (like Trina deep frying his foot).
- His rivalry with Jade and Trina is also pretty funny.
- This puppet, while having his snarky hilarious side, also has a big heart, and deeply cares for his friends, as while he likes to make fun of Robbie, he loves him deep down and will often never leave his side, and he never makes a move on Cat, as he knows Robbie is in love with Cat, and he also forgives Tori after she accidentally injured him to near death in "Rex Dies".
- This truly kind-hearted line he says to Tori in "The Worst Couple": Girl you better than that.
- It’s funny that he doesn’t like being called a puppet, but it’s ok if he himself says it.
- It’s shown that he really does need Robbie to have his life. This is especially shown in "Robbie Sells Rex", as Francis Thornesmith, the one who temporarily buys Rex, is a terrible puppeteer unlike Robbie, and also doesn’t bring Rex his lovable personality like Robbie does.
- He had some good appearances outside Victorious, like in the iCarly episode "iBloop 2: Electric Bloopaloo", and a cameo at the end of the Game Shaker's episode "Tiny Pickles".
- He can be a jerk at times, mainly towards Robbie, as well as sometimes Jade and Trina.
- His puppet design in the Pilot episode was terrible, but thankfully it quickly improved in the 2nd episode "The Bird Scene", and his current design is much better.
- He has his own account on TheSlap, under the username "RexAndTheCity", a play on the TV show, Sex and the City, which has more followers than Robbie's own account. He also unfollowed Robbie.
- It could be possible that Robbie has low-self esteem that he expresses through Rex, since Rex is always insulting him.