"Pluck my life."
-Red,The Angry Birds Movie
Red is the main protagonist from the Angry Birds franchise. He's the leader of the Angry Birds and the main guardian of the eggs.
Why He Rocks
- He's as recognizable and iconic as Mario, Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny and so on.
- He's the one who worries the most about the eggs' safety, as mentioned above. So much so that he's the first one to be in the frontlines when they're in danger.
- Like a good leader, he values teamwork and is always willing to fight alongside his comrades.
- He's very strong-willed and dedicated.
- While he doesn't have any abilities as the other birds do, he does have strong leadership skills that help in battle.
- That being said, he does get special abilities in games like Angry Birds Go!, Angry Birds 2 and even in future updates of the first Angry Birds, more specifically the one that introduces Red's Mighty Feathers.
- He's given a more dramatic, but also more sympathetic iteration in the movie, where we get to see that he never met his parents, and used to be a lonely kid. However, once the eggs were stolen, Red rose up as the leader by the other birds, who had previously refused to believe him. Here, he proves his leadership qualities in his strong desire and passion to save the eggs.
- He's pretty loyal and confident in his friends. His best buddies Chuck and Bomb included, of course.
- He's more fleshed out in Angry Birds Toons, where he sometimes acts like a mentor figure to the Blues, much like the other characters (aside from Terence and Bubbles).
- Both Antti Pääkkönen and Jason Sudeikis do a great voice for him.
- Despite hating the pigs for being a constant threat for their eggs, he is willing to join forces with them if needed, like in Angry Birds Epic, Transformers and especially the 2nd movie.
- He is short to anger, often getting angry at others when they do not coordinate with him.
- In the 2nd season of Angry Birds Toons and onwards, he became an overprotective Gary Stu and bullylike jerk as well as racist towards the pigs, beating them for fun and leaving them to starve.
- Depending on your view, he was a Butt-Monkey in the beginning of the movie.
- An officially licensed t-shirt entitled “Nerdy Birdy” showed Red with glasses and a bow tie. The image was so popular that a plush version was created. It should be noted that the Nerdy Birdy is not a new character, just Red wearing a bow tie and eyeglasses.
- Red and Silver are the only birds to be named after a color.
- He is the only character to have appeared in every single game.
- Red is similar to a lot of video game, TV show and movie characters:
- Donald Duck since they are both birds with short tempers, and Red's relationship with the Blues is similar to Donald's relationship to his nephews.
- Knuckles from the Sonic franchise since they are aggressive, overprotective and red members of their teams.
- Keith from Voltron: Legendary Defender since they are normally angry most of the time, they are leaders, males and have red on them.
- The Angry Birds Zero Gravity episode Stamp Collector revealed that Red is a philatelist.
- His birdday (birthday) is on August 17th, as seen in the episode All The Way To The Top from Angry Birds MakerSpace.
- Red's name was originally going to be George.
- In Sink or Swim, it even revealed that he has Aquaphobia, but he later forgets it.