Natsu Dragneel is the main protagonist of Hiro Mashima's manga Fairy Tail. He is a Fire Dragon Slayer sesrching for his adoptive father Igneel and is revealed to a demon from the Book of Zeref called Etherious.
Why He's Great
- He is one of the most recognizable and memorable anime characters of all time.
- He never gives up during a fight, no matter how great the odds are against him
- He values his friends from the Fairy Tail guild and views them as his family.
- He is optimistic, as he maintains a positive outlook on life, even when he has the right to be sad.
- He has gone through a fair amount of character development.
- During his battle with Sting and Rogue, he shows that he has learned to strategize during his fights after the timeskip instead of charging in recklessly. As he figures out their fighting styles and the direction of their attacks. This is also shown during the Alvarez Arc when he restrains himself to save power for future enemies.
- He learns to forgive his enemies as shown when he co-operates with Jellal and Cobra contrary to the beginning of series when he originally held a strong grudge against his enemies.
- After his battle with Gildarts. He takes Gildarts' advice into future prospect and learns to accept help from his allies, something originally out of character for Natsu for example during the Mard Geer fight. When he accepts help from Gray and when he encourages his teammates during the Hades fight. Another lesson he took from Gildarts is that it takes wisdom and strength to sheathe his sword when its out. Natsu has never been on to give up a battle at the start but when he sees Brandish he realizes he is outmatched and is willing to give up & retreat to fight another day. He won't risk his comrades' lives on reckless charge.
- He is willing to negotiate with August instead of jumping straight to violence to try avoid the war and save lives. He even tries to talk and sympathise with Zeref. Someone he previously wouldn't have given the time of day and just attacked. He is even willing to try talk and sympathize with Acnologia. Someone who killed his father in all but blood. I can count at least 10 things Natsu would not have done at the beginning of the series.
- He has a goofy sense of humor, as he has a lot of hilarious moments.
- He is energetic and playful, as he likes to tease his friends with his antics and genuinely likes to have fun.
- His backstory of losing his adoptive father Igneel is heartbreaking and motivates Natsu to find his dad.
- His iconic catchphrases:
- I'M ALL FIRED UP!!!
- I GOT FIRE IN MY BELLY!
- Todd Haberkorn did an incredible perfomance voicing him.
- He can be curmudgeonly and insensitive at times.
- He is impulsive, reckless and generally not the brightest bulb in the box.
- While he is a great fighter, he tends to be destructive, as his iconic attacks leave a massive amount of collateral damage.