Murray is the tritagonist in the Sly Cooper franchise. He first appeared in Sly Cooper and the Thieveus Raccoonus as the cowardly getaway driver of the Cooper Gang, but reappeared in Sly 2: Band of Thieves as the badass, brave muscle of the crew.
Why He Rocks
- Excellent character design, which is able to be intimidating, which is good because of how strong he's supposed to be, while also highlighting his weight problem, which makes him the slowest of the three.
- Amazing voice acting.
- Extremely funny, arguably the funniest of the three primary members of the Cooper Gang, depending on your personal tastes in terms of comedy.
- Very badass.
- He cares deeply for his friends, and is willing to go above and being to help and save them if necessary. Even in Sly 1, when he was the coward of the crew, there were two racing missions, and two missions where he made a run for a treasure key, and Sly had to cover him with a turret, which shows his willingness to put himelf in harms way.
- THE MURRAY!
- In Sly 2, they gave his character a massive overhaul, making him a field agent, and changin his personality to be a lot more confrontational and brave.
- He kills guards in only TWO HITS, (in Sly 2).
- He has some of the best thief net upgrades, such as Fists of Flame, Turnbuckle Launch, Gutural Roar, Atlas Strength, and Temporal Lock, (Sly 3), among many others.
The ONLY Bad Quality
- He can come off as kind of annoying sometimes in Sly Cooper and the Thieveus Raccoonus.
- Fear the Murray!
- THUNDER FLOP!
- Greetings friend, I hope you weren't harmed by my meteorpic entrance!
- Good good. The thunder flop knows neither friend nor foe. Only destruction.
- It is nothing before The Murray.
- The Murray will renew your fear!
- I might be big, and not as smart as the other guys, but one thing I'm not, is weak!
- The only mental help that I need is to never be reminded of you again!
- I'm done talking with my mouth, now I talk with my fists!
- Murray's signature color is magenta.
- Strangely, in Sly 2 and Sly 3 his skin is magenta in gameplay while in artwork/cutscenes it is light pink, while it seemed to be reversed in Thieves in Time.
- His name could come from Charles Murray, who arranged the transport of a hippopotamus named Obaysch, and was nicknamed "Hippopotamus Murray".
- In the cutscene after Muggshot's defeat in Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, he is wearing a hat with "WW" on it. This is a reference to Whoopie World from Rocket: Robot on Wheels, Sucker Punch's first game.
- Like Sly Cooper and Bentley, Murray can't swim. It was stated in the Sly 2: Band of Thieves instruction manual that it's because the gang didn't take swimming lessons at the orphanage.
- Unlike Sly and Bentley's species (raccoon and turtle, respectively), Murray's species, the hippopotamus, cannot technically swim. They can only move in water if it is shallow enough for them to stand in with their heads above the surface.
- Also unlike Sly and Bentley, he appears to have overcome this weakness, at least with the aid of scuba gear, as he is briefly seen swimming in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. However, wearing the scuba gear in-game does not give him the ability to swim, nor does it affect damage taken from falling in water.
- As a child, Murray wore a Japanese "Rising Sun" headband.
- Murray's species, the hippopotamus, is actually one of the most dangerous animals in Africa, as they are highly aggressive and unpredictable, in contrast to Murray's friendly personality. However, he has proven he is dangerous when angered. A real hippopotamus also tends to use its jaws as its weapon of choice, whereas Murray does not bite into anybody while attacking at all.
- His appearance in the ending of Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves references the anime Speed Racer, specifically the ending portion of the show's opening.
- In the Cooper Vault job, he worked "Recovery Team."
- According to Dr. M, Murray is far more powerful than Jim McSweeney ever was.
- During development of the first game, Murray was initially going to be bisexual. This idea was dropped, however, after early tests confused players as to why Murray was talking the way he did; some of whom thought the voice actor, Chris Murphy, was trying to replicate Barney the Dinosaur.
- This voice can be heard in some of the early demos for the games. Some of the audio files are also accessible on disc.
- Sucker Punch also tried to replace Murphy for Sly 2, but he was brought back as Murray's voice actor.
- The trailer "Murray's Mailbag" reveals that the reason Murray doesn't wear pants is that he can't find any in his size, a fact that embarrasses and frustrates him.
- Murray is also one of two characters not to wear pants due to an enormous size, along with Miss Decibel.
- Murray is voiced in Japanese by Takashi Nagasako in Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus and Sly 2. Since Sly 3 (including in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale and The Sly Collection), he has been voiced by Hajime Iijima.
- In Japanese, Murray is called "Captain Murray" from Sly 2 onward.
- Murray is the only member in the Cooper Gang to cross-dress, and has done so three times, once in the short "Goodbye My Sweet," another time in The Adventures of Sly Cooper issue 2 and again in Thieves in Time.
- In Thieves in Time, Murray eats a variety of foods, such as ice cream, pizza and cheeseburgers, while standing idle. If he produces a piece of broccoli however, he holds back his barf, and discards the food.
- In Thieves in Time, Murray has a miniature figurine of the Guru hanging from inside his binocucom.
- Murray's uppercut punch in Sly 2 and Sly 3 cannot kill rooftop guards, since it's used to pick them up. However, it can kill flashlight guards.
- In Sly 2, it is possible for Murray to quickly take out a flashlight guard with an uppercut immediately after landing a regular punch, as long as the player is quick enough.
- Murray is the only founding member of the Cooper Gang not to do a cutscene narrative.
- Murray is one of five mammal characters not to have fur, along with Miss Decibel, Madame D'Oinkeau, Pachyderma Tuskinanny, Madame Geisha, and Sheriff Toothpick.
- He is one of four characters engaged in a boss fight as both a protagonist and an antagonist, along with Penelope, Dimitri, and the Panda King, although Murray only counts because the Contessa has brainwashed him.
- Sly Cooper and the Thieveus Raccoonus (2002)
- Sly 2: Band of Thieves (2004)
- The Adventures of Sly Cooper Comics (2004-2005)
- Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (2005)
- Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (2013)
- Playstation Move Heroes (2011)
- Playstation All Stars Battle Royale (2012)