"Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone." -Mei Misaki.
Mei Misaki is the female protagonist of the Japanese mystery-horror manga and anime, Another. She is a student of Class 3-3 at Yomiyama North Middle School in 1998. She was labeled by her classmates as "the one that does not exist."
Why She Rocks
- She has a highly memorable design. If her entirely black outfit won't set you off, the blank white eyepatch on her right eye will.
- In contrast to her typically taciturn behavior, Mei also has a surprisingly childish side; when the class are on a school trip, she spends time building a sandcastle and gets scared when an octopus sticks to her hand, leading her to think that it was going to eat her.
- Another childish side of her is shown when she wore the flower headpiece she found in the box in the old Class 3-3 room and jokingly confirming one of the seven mysteries of the school, namely that one can hear moaning in the auxiliary library.
- Despite having a strong dislike for cellphones, she still carries one anyway at the request of her aunt. Even she with opposing views.
- Mei is actually a really kind girl; she quickly befriends Kouichi after he becomes a second "sacrifice" for Class 3-3 and willingly opens up to him about the Curse, her family, Class 3-3's history and even the nature of her prosthetic eye.
- She is very selfless, which is evident by the fact that she willingly "sacrificed" herself to prevent any more people from falling victim to the Curse, as she couldn't stand to see anyone else die after losing her sister, showing that she really does care despite her seemingly apathetic nature.
- Initially, Mei is an enigmatic, gloomy, very withdrawn, solitary and antisocial girl who doesn't see value in having a bond with someone.
- She can be rather creepy at times, fascinated by a pair of conjoined dolls in her grandmother's shop, wondering how they can be so calm even though they are attached and don't believe they aren't suffering.
- Mei is the shortest person of Class 3-3.
- Her birth name was "Mei Fujioka" before being adopted by Yukiyo. The reason Mei was given to Yukiyo is because of her name. If Misaki Fujioka was given to the Misakis, her name would be "Misaki Misaki."
- The name Mei means "to cry","to sing" and "to scream." It is also the name of a Japanese ornamental tree with fragrant white or pink blossoms and small yellow fruits.