Maui is the deuteragonist of Disney's 2016 animated feature film, Moana. He is a boisterous demigod of South Pacific legend that primarily serves as an audacious hero and a guardian of mankind. He is voiced by Dwayne “The Rock“ Johnson.
Why He Rocks
- He has magical powers that come from his trusty giant fishing hook, which can make him shapeshift into whatever creature he desires.
- He has shown to have a very humorous side.
- He is an awesome Demi-god and according to mythology, has been given the label “Hero to All”.
- His song, You’re Welcome, is very memorable and has shown that he created things like sunlight and coconuts for humans. In fact, it’s one of the most popular songs in the movie.
- American-Canadian actor with Polynesian blood Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson does a fantastic job of voicing him.
- The tragic backstory about how his human parents abandoned him in the ocean is very emotional and touching.
- Though sometimes he has shown to be an arrogant jerk, he also knows how to learn from his mistakes, like how he and Moana plan to go and return the heart of Te Fiti back where it belongs, so it can be unleashed from Te Kā.
- After he became a demigod, he pretty much shaped Moana's entire world in general. He even bragged about it during his song.
- His act on stealing the heart of tefiti was a pretty selfish act to do and throughout almost the entire movie, he refused to put Te Fiti’s heart back and throws Moana off of her own boat twice,
- He was acting very selfish to the point where he was slightly bothersome and the fact that he stole the heart of Te Fiti and doomed the whole world.