Mario (Full name: Mario Mario), previously known as Jumpman, and developed under the nickname Mr. Video, is the main protagonist of the longest-running video games series with the same name, and the mascot for Nintendo. He is the love interest of Princess Peach and the older twin brother of Luigi.
Why He's Great
- He turned into the most famous mascot in video game history. In fact, he's actually statistically more recognizable among people than Mickey Mouse.
- His famous catchphrases, most notably, "It's a me, Mario", "Okie dokie!", and "Mamma Mia!"
- He is shown to be very brave and kind-hearted with a strong sense of justice/heroism.
- He almost always puts others' lives before his.
- Constantly saves billions of lives from threats to the Mushroom Kingdom and the entire world.
- His famous rivalry/friendship with Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Paved the way for other video game characters, such as his rival Sonic.
- Made numerous cameos in other games, such as Zelda.
- Has multiple power-up suits he looks great in and gains the power of, such as the Tanooki suit and the cat suit.
- His loving, brotherly love he shares with Luigi.
- His romantic yet platonic chemistry with Princess Peach.
- He is a very experienced and agile fighter, and puts his skills to good use.
- His famous rivalry with Bowser, a iconic case of a hero-vs.-villain trope.
- Earned an infamously good live-action movie and a Illumination movie coming out soon.
- Although he doesn’t look intimidating, he is extremely powerful with superhuman strength that can lift castles and kick them away. He can also manipulate fire, dodge lasers, survive being in space, survive a supernova, defeat multiversal beings and more.
- He is always friendly to people and usually doesn't gets aggressive.
- Like Sonic he also has a personality that can be integrated to key parts of stories, such as games, comic books, cartoons, movies, anime, manga and more!
- Mario has some known controversies.
- People debate over his height. Some say he is 5’1” and some say he is 5’11”. It could be likely he changes height because that he eats Super Mushrooms.
- Controversies about how he treats Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Yoshi make some people hate him.
- He is sometimes not shown with a clear personality because he is meant for players to integrate their own personality into his character.
- Sometimes a very silent character lacking some personality, sometimes in his 8-bit games.
- When you pick him, you will discover that he sometimes does not have any significant qualities that make him diverse from other characters. At least Luigi jumps higher. Although this is sometimes in the main games, it is sometimes noticed in the spin-offs.
- IT'S A ME...MARIO!
- MAMMA MIA!
- SO LONG, KING-A BOWSER!
- Thank you so much for playing my game!
- Mario makes more playable appearances than any other character in video game history.
- According to the team name Super Mario Bros., many among the fanbase had inferred that Mario and Luigi's last names were "Mario." Miyamoto states that this information is untrue before eventually going along with it, thus making "Mario" the brothers' canon surnames.
- In the classic games and in the DIC cartoons, Mario's attire consisted of a blue shirt with red overalls; this color scheme would later be inverted. However, the classic blue shirt and red overalls color scheme appears in a number of games as an alternate costume.
- Strangely enough, said color scheme is not available in Super Smash Bros. 4 or Ultimate.
- Mario has always had his signature Cap, ever since he was a baby.
- Mario used to have a very low New York voice.
- Mario is one of the Nintendo characters who talks in sentences.
- In the Mario and Luigi series, neither Mario or Luigi talk with speech bubbles.
- Mario's name before Jumpman was supposed to be Mr. Video.
- Mario, along with Luigi, were intended to have cameo appearances in the 2012 Disney film, Wreck-It Ralph, but Bowser made an appearance instead. But since the producers of the movie were unable to put him into the plot, and they did not want to make him make a cameo, he was not included. However, Mario is mentioned by Fix-It Felix Jr. during the party scene as being "fashionably late as usual." The director had promised that he will return for Wreck-It-Ralph 2, but again he does not.
- In the first appearance from Donkey Kong in 1981, Jumpman was a carpenter. Then in his own game as Mario in 1983, he appears as a plumber throughout the rest of the Super Mario series.
- In a 1993 Nintendo Character Guide, created to ensure that third party companies did not misrepresent the characters, Mario is revealed to be of the species "Homo Nintendonus."
- Through Mario's career, he was a rival of Sonic the Hedgehog from Sega. Their rivalry may have been the "cause of the Console Wars".
- Despite Nintendo being victorious, Sonic and Mario been to the Olympics together implies that Sega and Nintendo made up after the long battle.
- Mario was planned to be the character in Wii Sports and Splatoon's development but was scrapped.
- Despite people assuming that Mario says "So long, gay Bowser" when throwing Bowser far in Super Mario 64, Charles Martinet has confirmed that Mario is, in fact, saying "So long, king-a Bowser!."