“You poor, simple fools; thinking you could defeat me! ME! The mistress of all evil!”
―Maleficent to the Three Good Fairies.Maleficent is the main villainess of Disney's 16th full-length animated feature film Sleeping Beauty, the overall main antagonist of The Walt Disney Company and one of the supporting antagonists in Mickey's House of Villains. She is an evil fairy witch who takes offense at not being invited to the christening of Princess Aurora, and attempts revenge on King Stefan and Queen Leah by cursing their beloved daughter Princess Aurora.
In the 1959 animated film, she was voiced by the late Eleanor Audley.
Why She Rocks
- With her dark, elegant design, dramatic and flamboyant animation, and an unlimited arsenal of magic powers at her command, she is one of the most popular and recognizable Disney Villains, in addition to being one of the primary members of the official franchise.
- She became a breakout villain for Disney Villains whenever they do a villain themed crossover, she's even the Disney Big Bad of the Kingdom Hearts series!
- She has extremely strong magical powers, including summoning lighting, creating the valley of thorns, transforming into a full-sized, all-powerful dragon, etc.
- She takes her role as the villain very seriously. All she has to do is make an entrance into a room, and the people will stop what they're doing and hope to avoid her forces. Plus, she thinks her plans through very carefully, and doesn't just do her own thing. She managed to hypnotize Aurora into touching her spindle, and captures Prince Phillip before he can save her. There's a reason she's known as The Mistress of All Evil.
- She owns a pet raven dubbed Diablo who's proven to be just as evil, smart and serious and herself. That's rare for a Disney henchman/animal nowadays.
- She's the only villain in the Disney Animated Canon (besides Claude Frollo) to use a curse word! Once again, she takes her villain role very seriously.
- Her 1959 voice actress, Eleanor Audley, previously voiced Lady Tremaine in Disney's 1950 film Cinderella, and Madame Leota in The Haunted Mansion.
- TVTropes labeled her as the Goddess of Revenge from Not Being Invited after the trope Revenge SVP
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.