"You'll need more than that to beat a Shiranui ninja!" -Mai Shiranui
Mai Shiranui (Japanese: 不知火 舞, Shiranui Mai) is a character from both the Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters series of fighting games by SNK. Her official nickname is 'The Alluring Ninja Girl' (魅惑 の 女忍者, Miwaku no Kunoichi).
Why She Rocks
- Although her peppy fighting persona suggests otherwise, she is actually a traditionalist and idealistic.
- She is one of the most widely popular and recognizable SNK fighters, including her self-proclaimed fiancee's brother, Terry Bogard.
- She is extremely loyal to her family and friends, often made her priorities.
- Despite her complex relationships, she has shown her support for her women's team and their notorious reputation for years, enjoying working with her teammates.
- She can hide/pull out infinite weapons and items from her clothing and cleavage, from seemingly nowhere. She keeps multiple fans (her preferred weapon of choice) with her that can't be seen.
- Due to Mai's vast popularity among fans; she has been in most promotional art, game art, themes, and merchandise out of any character making her the female mascot and sex symbol of SNK.
- She tends to be somewhat of an airhead.
- She admires any kind of beauty or attractiveness, which sometimes comes across as her being vain.
- Similar to a teenage pink hedgehog, she has insanely stalkerish tendencies.
- She was originally not planned to be included in Fatal Fury at all, as her fighting style was created for a different male ninja.
- When Super Smash Bros. Ultimate director, Masahiro Sakurai, did a 48-minute long deep dive on the game’s new character, SNK’s Terry Bogard, and his new stage, he noted that Mai will not have a cameo in Ultimate, because the game is for “good boys and girls of many different ages."
- Sakurai's professional statement unleashed a floodgate of memes and references poking endless fun of her notable exclusion.