"Never. I'll never turn to the dark side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me." ―Luke Skywalker, to Darth Sidious in Return of the Jedi
Luke Skywalker (born 19 BBY-dies 34 ABY) is the main protagonist of the legendary Star Wars original trilogy and one of the side protagonists in the sequel trilogy.
Finding himself apprenticed to the Jedi Masters, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda, he soon becomes an important figure in the Rebel Alliance's struggle against the Galactic Empire. In the sequel trilogy, he is the Grand Master of the New Jedi Order and the sole existing Jedi until his new apprentice, Rey, assumes the mantle after his death.
Why He Rocks
- In his youth, he was often curious, impatient, looking ahead to the future with little regard for his present surroundings, and even a bit brash.
- He gets major character development as he turns from a whiny brat to a mature, Jedi master later on in life.
- Mark Hamill does a great job playing him.
- He is a human swiss army knife, as he is a fantastic pilot, farmer, marksman, and eventually Jedi master.
- He is very compassionate and caring towards others; he immediately wants to rescue Leia from the Empire upon learning she's on the Death Star with them and will drop everything to help his friends in need.
- He believes that Darth Vader, the right-hand man to the all-evil, sinister Emperor, can be redeemed, even though everyone else, including Vader himself, has written him off as too far gone. And he's proved right.
- He is more than willing to sacrifice himself to save the galaxy and manages to indirectly defeat the Emperor himself with the Power of Love.
- He defined the 'main protagonist loses a limb in the heat of an intense battle with a foe' trope.
- He passed away, joining his father and old masters as one with the Force with a feeling of peace and purpose.
- Like his father before him, he was impulsive, reckless, and often had little regard for his own personal safety.
- He was somewhat flanderized in The Last Jedi, ever since its release. He was turned from a pure-hearted, idealistic optimist to a grumpy, borderline nihilistic hermit showing negavtivity and disregard nearly all the time.
- He was initially going to be named Luke Starkiller.
|Star Wars Characters|
Rebel Alliance and New Republic
Rebel Alliance & New Republic Navy
Rogue One Squad
The Jedi Order
The Sith Order
The Galactic Fringe