Lily Vautier is one of the two deuteragonists of the 1932 romantic comedy Trouble In Paradise. She's a pickpocket who was Gaston Monescu's romantic dinner guest where she meets and falls in love with him after discovering she was also a thief, and becomes his partner in crime.
She was portrayed by Miriam Hopkins.
Why She Rocks
- Miriam Hopkins is an absolute star in her role as the female criminal and just like her co-star is charming when necessary, it can also be pretty humorous as well.
- She may not be quite on the same level of thieving and manipulation as Gaston is, but she definitely comes close in the matter, considering she had posed as a wealthy countess, is a master of pickpocketing, was able to team up with Gaston with committing and robberies from the wealthy all over Europe for over a year, and once had pretended to be an ugly, unfortunate orphan who must take care of a little brother.
- She's shown to have serious determination and courage in her schemes, as she's not one to turn it in, very quickly or easily.
- She and Gaston share excellent chemistry with each other, both in terms of being loyal co-thieves, and also being deep, devoted lovers. As a result, she manages to be so charming and elegant, it's easy to forger she's a criminal.
- On the topic of the lovers part, she manages to come across as a sympathetic lover who's worthy of Gaston's love and respect due to how supportive and concerned she often is.
- She gets a lot of memorable or hilarious quotes, such as "Darling, remember, you are Gaston Monescu. You are a crook. I want you as a crook. I love you as a crook. I worship you as a crook. Steal! Swindle! Rob! Oh, but don't become one of those useless good for nothing gigolos.", along with the quote featured on the image caption.
- Being an European international thief, she's fluent in multiple different languages, including German and French and Spanish.