General Li Shang is a Chinese army captain and the tritagonist of Disney's 1998 animated feature film, Mulan, and the deuteragonist of its sequel. He is voiced by B.D. Wong and Donny Osmond provides his singing voice. He will be potrayed by Yoson An and is renamed Chen Honghui in the live-action 2020 adaptation who will be the rival and later turned love interest of Hua Mulan.
Why He Rocks
- He has amazing skills as a captain and commander, especially towards Fa Mulan.
- Much like his equally-heroic wife, Fa Mulan, he is shown to be a great fighter.
- He’s most possibly the toughest and bravest of the Disney Princes.
- Despite having a demanding and very strict behavior, he’s also shown to have a caring and reasonable side to him.
- He has shown to be an audience favorite among fans and is one of the most memorable characters in the Mulan franchise.
- After Mulan saved China and was revealed to be a woman and killed most of the Huns, Shang still appreciated her fighting skills and honored her for saving China.
- His song, I’ll Make a Man Out of You, is very catchy and unforgettable, being one of the most popular songs in the movie.
- He‘s one of those characters that knows how to get the job done and pushes his soldiers into getting strong in order to fight the Hun army, as shown during his song montage.
- When he was demanded to kill Mulan for “dishonor”, he refused to do so in a way to show he appreciates her helping him avenge his father’s death in the hands of Shan Yu and his Hun army.
- Much like his wife, Mulan, he neither married nor was born into royalty which makes his role as a Disney Prince also debatable