"Love – a dangerous disease instantly cured by marriage" ― Briscoe's signature wit
Detective Leonard W. "Lennie" Briscoe is a fictional character on the long-running TV crime drama Law & Order. He is a tough, sarcastic police detective known for his dry wit and penchant for one-liners.
He is portrayed by the late Jerry Orbach.
Why He Rocks
- He is easily the best character in the Law & Order franchise.
- Orbach plays him as a throwback to the world-weary, wise-cracking gumshoes of the film noir era, such as Sam Spade.
- He has the best one-liners of any character in the series, to the point that they have become his trademark.
- The character includes elements of tragedy, such as his struggle with alcoholism and the murder of his daughter.
- He has great chemistry with all of his onscreen partners.
- Orbach, as Briscoe, is included in New York City's roster of "Living Landmarks".