"You'll fail, unless you have me along. I can't wait to see the look on Sonic's face when he finds out that I helped defeat Dr Eggman while he missed out on the glory. That'll mess with his ego!" -Knuckles, Sonic X
Knuckles the Echidna (ナックルズ・ザ・エキドゥナ Nakkuruzu za Ekiduna?) is a fictional character from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is an anthropomorphic echidna and the current guardian of the Master Emerald, a powerful ancient relic which is his solemn duty to protect from anyone seeking to abuse it. He is also the sole remaining descendant of the Knuckles Clan and last of the echidnas on Earth. His dominant traits are his superhuman strength, and the two spike-like knuckles on each of his hands, from which his name is derived from, which he can use to dig with and climb walls.
Why He Rocks
- A loner by nature, Knuckles is independent, headstrong and serious to a fault.
- He is entirely devoted to his duty, spending most of his time on Angel Island protecting the Master Emerald, and rarely cares for anything that is of no importance.
- When his friends and others are in need of his help, however, Knuckles can always be relied on being willing to leave his post and prove himself a faithful and good-hearted hero.
- Similar to Silver, he can learn from his mistakes.
- He is also one of Sonic's oldest friends and rivals.
- Knuckles has many amazing, hip-hop/jazz stylized songs In Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2. Unknown from M.E and Pumpkin Hill to name a couple.
- Even though he's ignorant due to his isolation years in Angel Island, he somehow knows how to translate ancient languages, as seen in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity and Black Knight.
- Knuckles is extremely gullible, often tricked by Dr. Eggman into believing that Sonic is the enemy, being a great cause for many of their confrontations.
- It appears that he's been sleeping on the job, since he's hardly seen guarding the Master Emerald in the recent installments.
- He was flanderized in the Sonic Boom series, where he's portrayed as a generic idiotic powerhouse.
- According to the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 manual, Knuckles' favorite food is grapes. This is referenced many times through the series.
- Ryan Drummond, his voice actor in Sonic Shuffle, is better known in the fanbase for providing the voice of the titular character during the late 90s and early 2000s.