Jaune Arc is the main deuteragonist of the world of RWBY and former leader of Team JNPR.
Why He Rocks
- He has a good heart, but he isn't well-trained and has lots of self-doubt, making him a rather flawed but still likeable protagonist.
- His dorkiness and klutziness often comes off as adorable and hilarious.
- When we finally learn his Semblance, it's revealed to be the ability to amplify others' Aura (life energy). He demonstrates this by pouring his own Aura into Weiss to boost her natural Healing Factor and allowing her to rapidly recover from an otherwise fatal impaling wound.
- While he's ditzy, klutzy, and socially awkward, he's not against teaching someone a lesson if he thinks they deserve it. He particularly dislikes people being jerks to his friends. Push his buttons, and he can get quite violent. Cinder discovers this during the Battle of Haven when Jaune goes from cautiously defensive to accusing her of being broken inside and charging her to avenge Pyrrha. This shocks his companions and sets off the fight for everyone.
- Character Development: He starts off as a dorky, clumsy, more-or-less normal guy in an otherwise fantasy world. But over the course of the series, he slowly grows stronger and becomes a better fighter and more capable leader over the course of each volume.
- Unlike the other protagonists, he cheated his way into Beacon.
- After Ruby reveals Ozpin's secrets to which he nearly throttles Oscar, a kid who was dragged into this whole mess unwillingly, though he does stop.
- Volume 7 has him mainly out of focus.
- Jaune Arc's character alludes to Joan of Arc:
- His name is similar to that of Joan of Arc.
- In Volume 1, Jaune had a brief story arc spanning "Jaunedice" through "Forever Fall, Pt.2", which referenced Joan of Arc's tale. In this arc, Jaune is bullied and blackmailed by Cardin Winchester, who alludes to Henry Beaufort, who was a Cardinal and the Bishop of Winchester. Henry Beaufort took part in the trial of Joan of Arc, which led to a false conviction, sentencing her to death by immolation.
- "Jaune" is the French word for yellow.
- "Arc" may come from the French word arc-en-ciel, meaning "rainbow".
- Jaune's Huntsman license number is 63600-89061-45795.