Izuku Midoriya ( Midoriya Izuku?), also known as Deku, is the main protagonist of My Hero Academia.
Though born without a Quirk (term for superpower), he manages to catch the attention of the legendary hero All Might due to his innate heroism and has since become his close pupil and also a student at U.A. High School. All Might passed on his quirk to Izuku, making Izuku the ninth owner of the Quirk One For All.
Why He Rocks
- Although My Hero Academia is meant for teens, he's a great role model that always follows his dreams and never gives up.
- Even though he receives a powerful quirk from a well-known superhero, he doesn't brag about it or abuse his given power.
- He is a very timid, helpful and polite boy, frequently overreacting to abnormal situations with exaggerated expressions.
- Due to being bullied since childhood for being born without a Quirk, he is initially portrayed as insecure, being more reserved and not self-expressive, especially in front of Katsuki Bakugo, who constantly subdued him for his aspirations to be a hero.
- Unlike many anime protagonists, Izuku has physical and emotional weaknesses, though, he is still an outcast.
- He's a very powerful fighter, having improved reflexes and speed with the use of One For All, being able to hold his ground against various incoming attacks during the Provisional License exam.
- He is very diligent and strong-willed. Since he greatly admires heroes and has always dreamed to be one since his childhood, he developed a habit of writing down notes about everything he knows about heroes and their Quirks, including even other U.A. students.
- Because of this practice, Izuku has developed a great analytical mind and is easily able to form complex plans in short amounts of time, often taking advantage of his allies' Quirks to put them in motion. This aspect also helps him in figuring out ways to counter Quirks used by his opponents.
The Only Bad Quality
- He was a bit of a crybaby and had tendencies to scream a lot near the beginning of the series.
- "Deku" (デク?) is another reading of his name Izuku (出久?). Written with different kanji, it can mean a wooden figure or puppet, used as an insult for someone who can't do or achieve anything.