It (referred to as IT) is an ancient alien/eldritch monster and the title character and main antagonist of the 1986 novel the same name (and subsequent television and film adaptations). It is a shapeshifting creature known as a Glamour and is billions of years old. Although it lived on planet Earth for many years, it originated in a void/dimension outside the regions of space known as the Macroverse. Since its true identity is unclear, due to its shape-shifting abilities making its real name and species unknown, the creature is just named IT. IT (in Pennywise form) is potrayed by Tim Curry in the 1990 mini-series and Bill Skarsgard in the 2017 film adaptation and it’s 2019 sequel, It: Chapter Two.
Why IT Rocks
- IT is one of Stephen King’s most diabolical and memorable antagonists.
- It’s expressions and characteristics are ungodly and unpredictable, showing how terrifying IT can be.
- It takes many horrifying forms of people’s worst fears, mainly it’s most memorable form, Pennywise the Dancing Clown.
- Both actors Tim Curry and Bill Skarsgard did fantastic jobs at portraying a live-action version of Pennywise, giving Skarsgard a starting point for IT's portrayal.
- The ways IT tricks is victims are incredibly creative, cunning and clever.
- IT loves to toy around and play with it’s victims emotions, making it more of an amazing, villainous antagonist.
- Anything and everything IT forms into is pure nightmare fuel.
- IT steals the show most of the time with It’s goofy yet frightening behavior as Pennywise, such as the Pennywise Dancing moment from the 2017 movie.
- Has many memorable quotes, such the unforgettable “You’ll all float down here.” line.
- It’a gender, whereabouts and origin are hidden with the a deadly ball of lights known as the Deadlights, showing it truly remains a mystery, making it even more of a terrifying figure.
- Tim Curry’s performance as Pennywise practically stole the entire shown whenever he appeared on screen, a fine example is the “Do you have Prince Albert in a can?” bit.