- "Of course I have a secret identity. Can you see me in this at the supermarket? Come on. Who'd want to go shopping as Elastigirl, y'know what I mean?"
- —Elastigirl being interviewed
Elastigirl (real name Helen Parr), also known as Mrs. Incredible, is the deuteragonist of Disney/Pixar's The Incredibles franchise. She is the deuteragonist of the 2004 film, The Incredibles, and is the main protagonist of its 2018 sequel.
Why She Rocks
- Helen Parr, known by the superhero name "Elastigirl" in the golden age of superheroism, is a resourceful and dexterous (quite literally) superhero; a role model for men and especially women.
- Prior to marrying Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl seemed to have a strong opinion, stating that she both planned to break the "glass ceiling" (as Supers were a predominantly male profession) and would not settle down, at that time, in her firebrand ways as a married housewife. Life had other plans for her, however, as Mr. Incredible had managed to be so dazzling that she broke down and agreed to marry him. Shortly after their wedding, a chain reaction of events involving lawsuits results in Supers being outlawed by the U.S. government.
- Since it became illegal to work as a Super, her goal of becoming a prominent superheroine was made a moot point. Elastigirl then changed to a more traditional role: becoming a housewife and devoting her effort to being a good wife and mother. This is particularly important raising three children while living in witness protection and trying to raise super-children in a normal world.
- Helen adjusted skillfully to the anti-Super law by completely renouncing her career as Elastigirl. In the privacy of the Parr residence, however, she still sometimes used her superpowers to aid her in housework and keep her three children under control. Her biggest concern is that since both she and Mr. Incredible were superheroes, their marriage has begat "superkids", and she does not want her children breaking the anti-Super law (whereas her husband takes the stance that the kids need to revel in their very special abilities).
- She is an assertive, sassy idol.
- She absolutely steals the show in Incredibles 2, with the story focusing on her and her mission to make Supers legal again.
- Helen is the fourth main female protagonist in a Pixar movie, after Merida in Brave, Joy in Inside Out, and Dory in Finding Dory.