Garfield is the titular main and primary protagonist of the long-running franchise of the same name. He is an overweight anthropomorphic sluggish orange tabby cat noted for his intense passion for lasagna.
Why He Rocks
- He is an amazing cat and one of the most memorable cartoon cats in history, and along with many cartoon characters or cats, he is very iconic. In fact, a lot more iconic than Heathcliff himself.
- He even had his own show in the 80s!
- Speaking of which, all of his one-liners he provides as opening gags after the title screen appears are memorable, charming, witty, and hilarious.
- His imagination and antics from his own show were underrated.
- He is very hilarious and has spawned many hilarious memes.
- Also, his deadpan sarcasm is hilarious.
- All of his designs are great, just scratch off those mediocre CGI designs aside alright?
- He is obviously smarter than how you'd perceive him with his everyday laziness.
- He may seem rude to his friends, but he still cares about them.
- Speaking of which, his friend-hate relationship with Odie is even more underrated since even though he kicks him off the table, he still considers him as his best friend.
- On top of that, his jealousy and rivalry with Nermal never gets old and the way he tries to get back at him is just satisfying.
- In Spring 1990, he was involved with the anti-drug special entitled Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue.
- His the Garfield Show counterpart redeems himself in Seasons 3-5, and has regained the lovable qualities he has during those seasons.
- His cash-in, spin-off appearances in the 21st century are boring and overrated, especially when it was all going downhill for him, so please disregard his sellout, flanderized appearances in the Garfield movies or spin-offs, although his the Garfield Show counterpart did redeem himself, as mentioned above.
- Sure he can lack some common sense at times, but he is still smart enough to solve his own problems with Odie and do many other things.
- His hate for Mondays and jokes about his laziness has been done to death.
- Also, jokes about his fat appearance are also done to death.
- His backstory on how he lost so much weight from his first debut with being originally obese was unexplained and why he is able to eat anything other than cat food without any effects does sound weird and senseless.
- And as much as he loves eating, he can come off as gluttonous & unhealthy at times.