"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" ― Gandalf's most famous line
Gandalf is one of the main protagonists of the late J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. He is a wise, powerful wizard who helps defeat a dragon, leads an army against the evil Sauron, and the helps save Middle-earth.
He has been portayed by several actors over several adaptations, but arguably the most famous is Ian McKellan in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit film trilogies.
Why He Rocks
- Ian McKellan portrays him very well in the live-action films.
- He is wise, careful, and a good leader.
- He is probably one of few to have ever defeated a Balrog. His power grows even greater after he is resurrected.
- John Huston does a good job voicing him in the animated movie The Hobbit.
- He is great friends with Bilbo Baggins and the dwarves, and has great chemistry with them.
- He is strict when he needs to be, and kind when he needs to me.
- His dialogue is very well written and memorable.