Francine Lee Smith (née Ling; formerly Dawson) is a fictional character on the animated television series American Dad!. She is the wife of the title character Stan Smith and the mother of Hayley and Steve and also the daughter-in-law of Jack and Betty Smith. Francine is voiced by Wendy Schaal.
Why She Rocks
- She is a loving, caring, and kind wife to Stan Smith and a great mother to her children as in the early seasons of American Dad!, she was a protective mother who deeply loved her children and wanted to make Stan happy as well.
- It's good to see that Francine was established early on as a former party girl who gave up her lifestyle to become a housewife and become a lot better.
- Despite having some flaws, she's a good person in real life and is usually seen as a good person to people in public (for the most part).
- While Francine is seen as a loving mother, Francine is strong and badass and can show a dark but interesting side. It's about time that we don't need to see a cartoon wife that is only loving at that's it. It gives good character development for the character.
- Wendy Schaal does a great job at voicing her and her voice fits the character making her charming and unique. It is also notable that Schaal gives Francine a decent to pretty good singing voice.
- While she can act aloof towards her family, she has their best interests at heart and has gone to hell and back for them.
- She has a very attractive and beautiful design and (while a bad thing) was the main reason why her husband married her.
- She was able to recover from her flanderization as she redeemed herself in Seasons 14.
- She was sadly flanderized in Seasons 11-13 as she went from being a kind housewife and a loving mother into a literal clone of Lois Griffin as she lost of all of what made her a good character. Thankfully, she redeemed herself in Season 14.
- Even before and after her Flanderization period, she can have her fair share of unlikeable moments but not as much as other characters on the show.
- At times, she can be horribly treated by Stan on many occasions such as being married for her looks or when Stan being at his worst, locked his wife in an insane ayslum.