Gertrude Slojinski better known by her alias Eve Harrington is the titular protagonist villain/main antagonist of the 1950 film All About Eve. She is a scheming, ruthless young actress who systematically steals the career of her idol, Margo Channing.
She was portrayed by Anne Baxter.
Why She Rocks
- Anne Baxter does an incredible portrayal of the young actress.
- She's an surprisingly incredible and smart manipulator as she always knows just how to get everyone to fall under her.
- She managed to win Margo and her companions over by pretending to be a war widow, talked her way into becoming an assistant for a star, usurps her way into her position in a way that makes her look like an regular, innocent woman and successfully becomes a star.
- Aside from being a total chessmaster, Eve is a quick learner and she can adapt to just about any change very quickly.
- She's an incredible actress as shown both onstage and offstage which would explain how she's able to dupe everyone with her stories and fake innocence, including the audience! Then there's also her ability to become several different people, depending on who she is interacting with at the time and being able to change from sweet naïve woman to dirty manipulative bitch at the snap of a finger.
- As a character she pretty much drives the whole story considering all the major character are seen through their interactions with Eve, including Bill Sampson, who barely bothers to say hello when he first meets Eve, and he soundly rejects her advances, Karen Richards, who almost ends up losing her husband in a misguided attempt to mother Eve and Margo Channing considering she's the one Eve was after and got her acting inspiration from.
- Eve Harrington came in 23rd place in the Villains category on AFI's 100 Heroes and Villains countdown.