Edward is a blue mixed-traffic tender engine, and one of the main characters of the popular children's book series, The Railway Series and its' TV series adaptation, Thomas & Friends.
Why He Rocks
- He was the first character ever created for the Railway Series by the Reverend W. Awdry.
- He is very gentle, and kind-hearted.
- He is a Really Useful engine despite his old age. This is best shown in the episode 'Edward's Exploit,' where he finally puts pay to the other engines' teasing towards him by bringing home a passenger train full of enthusiasts during a storm, despite suffering a significant amount of damage when one of his crank pins breaks (which caused one of his side rods to almost destroy one of his splashers).
- He is very wise and often gives advice to the younger engines.
- He can be sarcastic and blunt at times, as seen in "Old Reliable Edward", which is done in the best way possible.
- His voice-acting in the US dub is enthusiastic and sounds a lot like him for the US version of the show.
- He helped to build the North Western Railway back when Sodor was beginning a new railway.
- He has great episodes like "Old Iron", "Cows", "Hunt the Truck", "Edward's Brass Band", "Edward the Great", "Edward, Gordon, and Henry", "Old Reliable Edward", "Edward and Gordon", and "Edward's Exploit".
- He knows how to keep Bill and Ben in order.
- His UK voice sounds like him, too.
- His choice to move to Wellsworth Sheds as seen in "A Shed for Edward" was very mature and reasonable of him.
- In one episode of S10, he was out of character in the infamous episode "Edward Strikes Out", where he is mean to a new crane named Rocky because Gordon says he is a new fangled nonsense. The real Edward would never be like that, and he would never agree with Gordon like that. However, this is the only time he had this mean spirited side in that episode, because he sided up with Gordon because of him calling Rocky a "new fangled nonsense", which was dearly against both personalities for both Gordon and Edward. (Though not so much with Gordon as it is with Edward)
- He later became a wimp and lost all of his original personality during Seasons 11-16, but regained it from Season 17 onwards with the help of Andrew Brenner and his team of writers.
- He wasn't in Thomas and the Magic Railroad because his new brass model wasn't ready yet and nobody gave the modeling crew time to complete it on time, and wouldn't be seen until Season 6 was filmed from 2001-2002.