Dr. M. is a character in the Sly Cooper franchise of video games. He serves as the main villain of Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves. Long before the series began, he worked with Sly's father, serving as the brains of Conner's Cooper Gang, along with Big Jim McSweeny being the muscle. However, he felt underappreciated by his associates, and after Conner's death, dedicated the rest of his life to attempting to break into the Cooper Vault and stealing their fortune.
Why He Rocks
- Incredible voice acting.
- Amazing character design. The mechanical enhancements added to his body, such as on his head, really adds to the effect.
- Extremely intimidating.
- He's the most interesting villain since Clockwerk due to his connection with Sly's father, being the technical specialist that worked on his version of the Cooper Gang.
- You fight him more times in the game than any individual boss in the series, with a total of five.
- He's sympathetic, and his backstory is left slightly ambiguous, since we don't really know if his grudge against Conner Cooper was fully justified or not.
- Shame you won't be seeing them again. Afraid I posioned your drink at lunch. Sorry Richards, but I don't tolerate poor performance. You should have changed the security code from 1-2-3 after you installed the new system.
- Yes, water leaking into the lab? I'm on my way down. Oh, and get a janitor for the lab elevator, Richards got sloppy.
- Cooper? No, you must be Sly Cooper, the new keeper of the cane, how I've longed for this!
- No, you're trespassing. I've got the deed to this island. This fortress is mine. Everything here is MINE! Which now includes the key to the vault. Hand over the cane.
- There's no escape, Cooper.
- You harpy witch! Why are the police invading my home!
- Justice? I'm the victim here! Defending what's mine from thieves!
- "That man" please, you know this is Sly Cooper! You're as transparent as you are narrowminded.
- I'm no law breaker! This is all self defense!
- Sorry madam cop, I don't trust you as far as I can throw you. Although, I can throw you a long, long way. Go and smash that woman, crush her bones to paste, and toss her in the sea wehre no one will ever find her!
- Now to find that cane. I can't believe this idiot just brought it to me. What a fool, he looks just like his father. And he's just as dead.
- Please! Keep your touchy-feely rhetoric to yourself, I can't stomach it! You Coopers are a bunch of dirty, attention-grubbing thieves! All of you, THIEVES!
- Dr. M is possibly a reference to the mad scientist, Doctor Moreau, from H.G. Wells' novel, The Island of Doctor Moreau. Both have island strongholds with mutants and hybrids for guards. "M" may also be a reference to both "Moreau" and "Mandrill."
- He sees Bentley as an intellectual equal, but he thinks of himself and Bentley as being "side-kicks" to the Coopers.
- Dr. M is one of the three characters who explicitly has a hatred or vendetta against the Cooper Clan. The two others are Clockwerk and Le Paradox. All three are also final bosses.
- Dr. M is one of the six characters who are actually killed off in the series. The others are Clockwerk, Arpeggio, Neyla, LeFwee and Toothpick.
- He is also the only main villain that was killed by nature, notably by boulders inside Cooper's Cave.
- He is also one of five British villains in the series. The others are Raleigh, Arpeggio, the Black Baron and Miss Decibel.
- He resembles Dr. Gavin from Sucker Punch Productions' first game, Rocket: Robot on Wheels. One major difference, however, is that Dr. Gavin is not evil, but actually just a bystander, not appearing much in the game.
- He is fought the most times out of any boss in the series.
- If his mutants count as him being bosses, then he also ties with Muggshot for being fought by the most amount of playable characters; Carmelita, Dimitri, and Sly in Dr. M's case.
- In the Japanese version, Dr. M is voiced by Masashi Ebara.
- Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (2005)