Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik is the main antagonist of the Sonic the Hedgehog series. He is a Overlander and the arch-nemesis of Sonic the Hedgehog.This large scientist with an IQ of 300 dreams of dominating the world, but his constant plots to create his Eggman Empire are always thwarted by Sonic and his friends.
Why He Rocks
- He is one of the most famous villains in video game history.
- His design is pretty smart as it doesn't make him look as villainous as he really is (especially with his egg-shaped torso and his comically-oversized mustache).
- Eggman's many incarnations treat him in very different ways, ranging from straight-up threatening to simply goofy.
- He is the perfect antithesis to Sonic, contrasting with the blue, light-hearted, super-fast, super-powered and courageous hedgehog with his fat, nerdy and weak looks, selfishness and sometimes even his childishness.
- He makes every battle he has with his enemies count.
- One reason why he's so evil is that he is an dictator ruling with an iron fist over an entire nation made of nothing more than machines.
- Despite being fat and bald with a despicable personality, he can be charming enough to fool others into doing whatever he wants.
- Even if he's a self-centered egomaniac, Eggman still respects his late grandfather, Professor Gerald Robonik, to whom he used to look up as a child.
- He's been in more games than even the main character himself. Even starring in his own title!
- One of Eggman's more admirable, (if not dangerous) traits is his courage throughout life-threatening situations. Despite Eggman's continuous use of machinery to both protect himself and fight his opponents, Eggman shows considerable bravery and very rarely shows fear, regardless of who or what he is facing.
- Starting with Sonic Adventure, he has plenty of awesome themes, especially E.G.G.M.A.N., from Adventure 2.
- His reason to want to take over the world is absurd, but could be considered "altruistic", as he believes the world's problems would be solved if he was ruling it.
- Despite his intelligence, Eggman can be very immature, throwing temper tantrums when Sonic manages to wreck into his plans.
- An example of his immaturity is in the ending of Sonic Unleashed, when Orbot begins to insult him over his constant failures and calls him a loser; Eggman screams "Oh, shut up!!", attempts to kick him only to comically fail, and then chases him through the desert while making agitated noises and violently flailing his arms in an attempt to grab him.
- He always leaves very obvious and exploitable weak spots in his machines, although it's explained in Sonic Twitter Takeover #3 that he does this as a backup plan in case the robots turn against him.
- He's done quite dirty in Sonic 06: While he manages to be somewhat menacing and his goal to obtain the Flames of Disaster is in character, his design is creepily (and unnecessarily) realistic and he's missing many of his core traits, like his narcissism, (most of his) showsmanship and goofiness.
- He's also really uneffective, as he never even tries to extract the Flames of Disaster.
- In the live-action/CGI big-screen adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog (2020), Eggman is portrayed by lovable comedian and actor, Jim Carrey.
- Carrey's portrayal has been indefinitely praised by the fanbase, even being called the "saving grace" of the film, prior to the redesign of the main character, of course.c
- His design was inspired by the 26th president of the US Theodore Roosevelt, complete with a big, bushy mustache.