Donkey is the best friend/companion of Shrek and Puss-in-Boots, the husband of Dragon, the father of the Dronkeys and the deuteragonist of the 2001 full-length animated Dreamworks film, Shrek, and the sequels that followed it. He is voiced by Eddie Murphy.
Why He Rocks
- He’s an awesome comic relief and is also one of the most popular and well-known characters in the Shrek movie franchise.
- He’s a great best friend (and at times helping hand) towards Shrek and Puss-in-Boots.
- He’s married to a fire-breathing dragon over a hundred times his size who he also has children with called Dronkeys (donkey-dragon hybrids).
- He's got a great and humorous personality.
- Even when Shrek’s in the worst of moods, he’s shown to stick by his side, showing how caring of a friend he truly is.
- Eddie Murphy does an excellent job with providing his voice and Donkey’s also one of his best-known roles.
- Most of the time he steals the show when he’s “annoying” Shrek, which comes off as hilarious.
- Sometimes he randomly bursts into pop-culture songs which also comes off as funny and goes well with his optimistic personality. One of his most famous ones is when he starts singing Cause I’m All Alone when he first meets Shrek in the first movie.
- He’s one of Eddie Murphy’s best known voice-acting performances (and performances in general), along with Mushu (another comical sidekick character) from Mulan.
- He, along with some other characters, were badly flanderized in Shrek The Third.
- He can be extremely obnoxious.