"So you thought you could drag me to the bottom of the lake just to eat me later? Well, guess what punk? I'm a fish, WITH LEGS." -Darwin
Darwin Raglan Caspian Ahab Poseidon Nicodemius Watterson III is the deuteragonist of The Amazing World of Gumball. He used to be Gumball's pet goldfish, but, one day, he grew legs and generally adapted to life outside of water, so he was adopted by the Watterson family.
Why He Rocks
- Like his adopted older brother, Darwin is a very happy and positive person.
- He always tries to see the best in most of the scenarios he is in, and in general, always tries to have a smile on his face.
- Not only does he desire to be happy, but he also desires to see others happy.
- His selfless acts of happiness can be seen in episodes such as "The Fan," "The Advice," and "The Stories."
- He has a strong sense of honesty; he also desires to tell the truth, no matter how much trouble it may cause.
- He is a great source of comedy, often bouncing off other characters' designs and different personalities.
- He is grateful about life.
- He is very sensitive.
- Although naive, he is a good friend.
- He can often resort to senseless violence when given a reason to do so.
- In the first season, Darwin was mainly background character and a sidekick to Gumball. It wasn't until the later seasons that he finally becomes his own character.
- Darwin is the only Watterson who does not wear pants.
- Darwin was originally a CGI animated character, but this was changed later on because of the difficulties at the time of having a major character animated in this fashion.
- Darwin's name is most likely based on the scientist Charles Darwin, who gained fame for his theory of evolution.
- A fish with legs or a "Darwin fish" is also considered somewhat of a universal symbol for Darwinism.