"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen." ― Darth Sidious in Return of the Jedi and also his most iconic quote.
Darth Sidious, born as Sheev Palpatine and also simply known as The Emperor, (born 88 BBY - dies 4 ABY; dies for real in 35 ABY) is the main antagonist of the Star Wars franchise.
He serves as the main antagonist of the Skywalker Saga, as the overarching antagonist of the 2008 animated stand-alone film Star Wars: The Clone Wars, its 2008-2014 animated TV series of the same name, and the 2014 animated TV series Star Wars Rebels; and as the unseen overarching antagonist of both the 2016 stand-alone film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and the 2019 video game Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.
Why He Rocks
- He is also one of the most iconic villains in movie history, along with Darth Vader.
- His proper debut in Return of the Jedi (although he appeared in The Empire Strikes Back, but as a hologram) is so sinister, yet so intimidating.
- He's an expert manipulator and chessmaster as he was behind nearly every bad thing the happened within the original and prequel trilogies.
- In the prequels, he got a corrupt faction to blockade/invade his backwater homeworld just to get the old leader kicked out and himself elected. Then gets his apprentice Count Dooku to start a war to increase his authority under "wartime powers". Then gets his sworn antitheses to attempt to thwart him so he can declare them enemies of the state and use his "severely disfigured in an attempt on my life" sob story to get enough sympathy to be named dictator for life. While playing both sides of the board, so as to have a backup plan if something went wrong. And that's not even getting into the birth of Darth Vader. Say what you want about the prequel trilogy, but at least Palpatine's arc was handled properly. Speaking of which...
- While the prequel trilogy isn't positively received, Ian McDarmind (along with Ewan McGregor) plays an outstanding performance.
- He isn't afraid to reveal himself to the Jedi Council, after they found out that he is a Sith Lord.
- His lines and dialog; "I am the Senate.", "UNLIMITED POWER!", "Did you ever hear The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?", or "Do it." became internet memes.
- His zombie design also looked sinister but cool at the same time.
- His hologram in the original release of Empire Strikes Back looked awful, but thankfully, it had been improved in the Special Editions.
- It isn't explained on how he survived after being thrown into the chamber shaft in The Rise of Skywalker.
- The plot twist of him being Rey's grandfather which was not only out of the blue, but kind of pointless.
|Star Wars Characters|
Rebel Alliance and New Republic
Rebel Alliance & New Republic Navy
Rogue One Squad
Cirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus
The Jedi Order
The Sith Order
The Galactic Republic
Padmé Amidala | Clone Troopers (Fives and Echo | Commander Rex | 99)
Bounty Hunters and Mercenaries
Boba Fett | Cad Bane | Jabba the Hut | Cornelius Evazan and Ponda Baba | Ziro the Hutt | Hondo Ohnaka
New Republic Era
The Mandalorian | Cara Dune | Greef Karga | Fennec Shand | Migs Mayfeld
Asajj Ventress | Mother Talzin | Savage Opress
Satine Kryze | Bo-Katan Kryze | Pre Vizsla
Steela Gerrera | Saw Gerrera
Cham Syndulla | Numa
Other Outer Rim Worlds
The Child | Prince Xizor | The Force Priestesses | The Father, The Daughter, and The Son