-Crash's very first line
Crash Bandicoot is the titular character and main protagonist of the Crash Bandicoot series. Originally planned to be named Willie the Wombat, he is an Eastern Barred Bandicoot living on N. Sanity Island, who was captured and evolved by Doctor Neo Cortex.
Why He's Great
- Naughty Dog once referenced the development of Crash as a character both "goofy yet heroic", and being able to portray it very well.
- He can spin into place, creating a tornado, which helps him fight against enemies that can kill or hurt him in one shot.
- He always finds a way to defeat bosses, no matter how ridiculous or powerful.
- His iconic dance which he does after completing every level.
- He has saved the world multiple times from numerous maniacal villains like Doctor Neo Cortex, his creator.
- He is a very emotional character who is quick to laugh and quick to cry.
- While he has a danger-loving, fearless nature and loves a good fight, he prefers relaxing in the sun and rarely seeks out trouble deliberately.
- He genuinely cares about his little sister Coco, and will stop at nothing if the bad guys threaten her or her life.
- Crash's personality is hard to pinpoint, sometimes varying from game to game.
- He was flanderized in Crash Tag Team Racing, where he is portrayed as demented in and took pleasure in torturing innocent animals, park drones, and even himself (it should be noted that the game is criticized for its over-caricaturistic or even complete change in character personalities).
- Even before his flanderization, he's quite dumb, to the point he confuses a poorly disguised Dr. Cortex for Coco.
- Crash was purposely designed with no neck to make his design simpler and take fewer polygons to render. He is the only Bandicoot in the series (not counting his "Fake" or "Evil" duplicates) to be designed in such a way, with other bandicoot characters such as Coco, Crunch and Tawna having far more human-shaped anatomy.
- As revealed by Cortex in the flashback tapes in It's About Time:
- Crash's real name is "Crashworth Cortex the First" but Cortex nicknamed him as "Crash" for short.
- The shorts he wears belonged to Cortex and were handed down to him.
- His birthday, as chosen by Cortex, is July 19th.
- In Japanese versions of many games, Crash is able to speak, though he still doesn't speak very often and only does so in short and simple phrases, but he can speak full, fluent sentences in Dansu! De Jump! Na Daibouken, the manga series based on Cortex Strikes Back. This happens again in his appearances in the Skylanders Academy episodes "The Skylands Are Falling!", "Crash Landing", "Days of Future Crash", and "Raiders of the Lost Arkus, Part 2".
- Crash's design is different in Japan, having had his teeth made smaller and his eyes bigger (with Pac-Man eyes) to appeal better to the Japanese market. This design is included as a secret costume in Crash Tag Team Racing, as well as being featured in Crash Boom Bang, a Japanese developed title.
- He and Cortex had been the most requested IP's in the All-Stars Battle Royale franchise by Sony.