Buzz Lightyear is the deuteragonist of the Toy Story movies, and the titluar protagonist of his own TV series. He is a spaceman toy originally belonging to Andy Davis. Buzz was based on a fictional character of the same name, and created during a time where astronauts were especially popular towards children. His arrival in the original Toy Story created conflict with Andy’s favorite toy, Sheriff Woody, though this rivalry will eventually turn into a lifelong friendship.
Why He Rocks
- He's one of the most iconic Pixar characters the company's ever created.
- He is a friendly guy who treats other toys with respect.
- The "space ranger" running gag he plays thoughout the franchise is pretty funny.
- He's based on popular space action figures that were popular at the time.
- Since Toy Story 2, he developed a cute crush on Jessie.
- He is voiced by the one and only Tim Allen, who also stars in another Disney franchise, The Santa Clause.
- He's proven to be almost as good a leader as the sheriff himself.
- He even got his own TV show, which was proven to exist in real life, which is exactly because Woody's Roundup only exists in the Toy Story universe.
- His famous line, “To infinity and beyond!”, which really never gets old.