"Remember, kids, God made you special! And he loves you!" -Bob the Tomato
Hey, kids. Welcome to the Great Characters Wiki. I'm Bob the Tomato, one of the main protagonists of the computer-animated religious cult classic, VeggieTales. I'm an anthropomorphic tomato and co-host, narrator, and in-universe actor of the show.
Why I'm Fresh ("It's time to talk about what we learned today.")
- I am usually the "straight man" in my partnership with Larry, who is much more bouncy and energetic than me.
- When VeggieTales in the House premiered, my cutesy, soft redesign was very adorable.
- I am the mascot when it comes to popular Christian children's media, often teaching biblical lessons and great morals with a smile and can-do attitude.
- Like a certain sea sponge, the creators' managed to make an instantly recognizable design out of an ordinary red tomato, and that is me.
- With pre-Toy Story 90s computer technology, no less!
- I am often very calm and nice, even my creator and actor Phil Vischer describes me as his "inner-Mr. Rogers", when voicing me!
- Like the show I am in, I managed to spawn a few entertaining internet memes, such as when Larry and I managed to unintentionally but perfectly predict modern internet humor.
- After the ending of the less-than-favorable Dreamworks-Netflix reboot, a spin-off titled The VeggieTales Show has brought me (and the series in general) back to form; bringing the beloved original design and quirky dialogue along with it.
- This is likely due to the original series' creators, Phil Vischer and Mike Nawrocki, regaining creative control over the series.
Why I'm Rotten
- I was heavily flanderized since VeggieTales in the House was released. I was given a much more perkiness and lessening my intelligence for 'comedy' purposes.
- I made my debut in 1993.
- I am voiced by Phil Vischer, the co-creator of VeggieTales.
- Fittingly, Larry is voiced by Mike Nawrocki, the co-creator of VeggieTales.