- “Don't have a cow, man.”
- ―Bart's third catchphrase
Bart Simpson (Bartholomew JoJo Simpson) is the deuteragonist of The Simpsons. He is the mischievous, rebellious, misunderstood and "potentially dangerous" eldest child of Homer and Marge Simpson, and the older brother of Lisa and Maggie Simpson.
Why He Rocks
- Bart is one of the most iconic young characters in adult animation, especially being popular in the early 1990s.
- Even at a young age, Bart has accomplished many feats. He has won an award for his Angry Dad web series, he has discovered a new comet which was named after himself, and he also has performed in a successful band with Milhouse Van Houten, Nelson Muntz and Ralph Wiggum.
- He is the most misunderstood of the family (After Maggie, who currently can only speak a few words), constantly frustrated by the narrow-minded people of Springfield, who judge him merely by his thoughts and actions.
- Despite his behavior, Bart is also extremely good at science, art and even sports like skateboarding.
- His actions and speech frequently show considerable mental agility, street-smarts, and understanding.
- His antics are funny at times.
- Although he gets into trouble and is sometimes shallow and selfish, Bart also exhibits many qualities of high integrity.
- He has, on a few occasions, helped the love life of his school Principal and his teacher, despite the fact he often terrorizes them, and he often befriends lesser known kids like Milhouse.
- For fans, he is considered the true main protagonist of the series since the beginning, especially in the following seasons.
- A memorable music video titled Do the Bartman was why we love Bart.
- He was likable in The Simpsons Movie, as he was his lovable self, compared to seasons 16-30, and the moment where he apologizes to Homer when they think they're going to die is a touching moment.
- He was decently likable in Seasons 11-15, likable in The Simpsons Movie, and then he redeems himself since season 31.
- Bart often seems to have trouble understanding even the simplest concepts, such as the word "irony," what the equator is and that the logo on his globe ("Rand McNally") is not actually a country. It was also once implied that his mischievous behavior may have been a result of Marge accidentally ingesting a droplet of champagne while pregnant with him.
- His antics can get mean spirited and over the top at times.
- He had some early flanderizations during Seasons 11-15 before being sadly flanderized completely in Seasons 16-30 where became a dumb sociopath, thankfully, he recovered from his flanderization since Season 31.
- Bart is loosely based on Matt Groening and his older brother, Mark Groening.
- He also has been nicknamed "Cosmo", after discovering a comet in "Bart's Comet". Bart has also been on the cover on numerous comics, such as "Critical Hit", "Simpsons Treasure Trove #11" and "Winter Wingding". Bart also has a 100-issue comic series entitled the Simpson Comics Presents Bart Simpson.