"What are you, stupid?”
—Asuka's personal favorite insult.
Asuka Langley Sohryu (Japanese: 惣流・アスカ・ラングレー[?], "Sōryū Asuka Rangurē") is one of the main female protagonists from the beloved Neon Genesis Evangelion franchise. Within the series, she is designated as the Second Child and the pilot of the Evangelion Unit 02, along with fellow teenage pilots Shinji Ikari and Rei Ayanami.
Why She Rocks
- She is a very proud individual, especially in her piloting, and comes across to others as proud and strong, with a very high opinion of both her appearance (particularly her recently "busty" body) and her skill as an Eva pilot.
- She's as cute as a kitten and is also one of the most skilled EVA pilots upon her introduction, garnering her lots of admiration in-universe on both counts.
- Even when her competence fades as the story progresses, only to rebound spectacularly and tragically in End of Evangelion.
- To steal the show, she wears her most iconic outfit, to increase her cuteness, and make herself an all-American tomboy.
- Including a blue dress, a white short-sleeved t-shirt, white knee-high tight stockings with a red line and a pair of very shiny black Mary Jane shoes. Asuka's hair is loose with the flanks held in twin tails with her Interface Headset. To complete the ensemble, a red bow on her collar provides a centerpiece as well as a bit of contrast against her iconic outfit.
- Her theme music that accompanies her first appearance, "Asuka Strikes!" was pure American.
- In spite of her narcissism, all Asuka really wants is admiration for her skills as a pilot, and validation as a woman
- Beneath the tough bratty facade, she's lonely, heartbroken, wounded, and desperately searching for her place in such a crazy world.
- Just like Misato, Asuka is a competent character who nonetheless provides quite a bit of levity due to her personality (in her case, over-the-top histrionics and Large Ham tendencies), to the point that the mood of the series becomes quite a bit sillier upon her introduction.
- She even has a wacky, lighthearted leitmotif like Misato does.
- She can be quite obnoxious, conceited, and abrasive with a side of a short temper.
- She treats her co-pilots, Shinji Ikari and Rei Ayanami, like absolute crap at times; especially Shinji since they live together under one roof.
- She's selfish, impulsive, self-centered, rude, and borderline misanthropic, eventually leading to pure madness down the road.
- She is aggressive and can be very opinionated.
- However, this personality is a front that protects a very vulnerable and insecure girl, a side which the viewer sees in her dreams or thoughts.
- As her popularity increased, Asuka became the official mascot of the anime studio behind Evangelion, Gainax.
- In the Rebuild of Evangelion films, her Japanese surname is changed to Shikinami (式波).
- Asuka makes a cameo appearance alongside Kaworu, Rei and Shinji in the fifth chapter of Marvel's Edge of Spider-Verse storyline, as classmates of Peni Parker.