"♫ I will fight for the world I was made in! The Earth is everything I've ever known!♫" ~ Amethyst singing her reason of protecting the Earth.
Amethyst (specifically Amethyst Facet-5 Cut-8XM) is a member of the Crystal Gems. She is the last known
Gem manufactured on Earth as a part of the Gem Homeworld's Kindergarten project, and one of the last surviving Gems on Earth. After being found by Rose Quartz and the other Crystal Gems, Amethyst helped her friends protect the Earth over the next four millennia, and often aids in the shenanigans of Steven Universe, Rose Quartz's son.
Why She Rocks
- Amethyst tends to indulge Steven more than the other Gems and partakes in human activities with him, generally being carefree to a fault while showing concern for his well-being in times of more severe danger.
- Although she does not have to, Amethyst enjoys eating and sleeping and is frequently seen doing so.
- She loves a good fight, something that manifests itself in her wrestling persona, the "Purple Puma", where she willingly masquerades as a hated wrestler purely for the fun of it and to relieve stress from Pearl and Garnet's constant orders.
- She is bad-mannered, untidy, and a bit lazy; much to Pearl's detriment, but still means well.
- She is very observant of other people's feelings, trying to reassure Steven in "An Indirect Kiss" when he was worried about her as she fell apart, understood why Pearl kept fixing the Communication Hub in "Cry for Help", and that Garnet will not forgive Pearl unless the two directly talk it out in "Friend Ship".
- In "Tiger Philanthropist", Amethyst is now comfortable with her self-esteem and no longer needs wrestling as an output of dominance and power.
- She gets huge character development in the episode, What's Your Problem?
- Amethyst has an admittedly low opinion of herself and a strong self-loathing that she usually keeps buried under her boisterousness.
- When her self-doubt takes effect, it makes her act cold, reckless, stubborn and starts looking for a fight.
- Her "Spin Dash" attack, which she shares with Jasper, may be a reference to the popular fictional character, Sonic the Hedgehog, whose main form of attack is the Spin Dash, which is rolling into a ball and dashing into enemies.
- Amethyst is the birthstone for those who are born in February or for the zodiacal sign of Pisces and Aquarius.
- She also shares several personality traits with Sonic, such as being a free spirit and having a relaxed demeanor.